General Questions About sizing Structural Beams.

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's search for information on sizing structural beams for specific applications. They inquire about the factors involved in determining the appropriate type of beam, such as material strength, height, thickness, and weight. They also ask about the mathematical relationship for calculating the weight and torque a beam can handle before permanent deformation. The conversation concludes with a recommended source for information and formulas on the topic.
Aethermeister
General Questions About "sizing" Structural Beams.

Hello Guys. I would like to know where I can find high quality info on which types of beams to use for certain applications. Say, for example, a 100 foot span which is supposed to hold 100 tons at the center, or cantilever, and so on. I know there are many factors, such as material strength, "height" of beam, thickness of material, and weight of material, and the like, but I cannot figure out a mathematical relationship even for simple shapes, for I am no savant. For example, is there a way to mathematically deduce how much "torque", or "weight" a ten foot 10"x10" solid square cantilever of 50 KSI steel can handle before permanently deforming?
I am assuming these things have been figured out experimentally. Ultimately, I am asking you guys for guidance in terms of recommended sources (internet, and books) for such information, and formulas.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you, that looks like what I was after.

Related to General Questions About sizing Structural Beams.

1. What is the purpose of sizing structural beams?

The purpose of sizing structural beams is to determine the appropriate size and shape of a beam to support the weight and load of a structure. This ensures the safety and stability of the structure.

2. What factors are considered when sizing structural beams?

The factors that are typically considered when sizing structural beams include the type of structure, the weight of the structure and its contents, the span length, and the type of load (e.g. static or dynamic).

3. What are the common types of structural beams used in construction?

The most common types of structural beams used in construction are steel beams, wood beams, and concrete beams. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different applications.

4. How is the size of a structural beam determined?

The size of a structural beam is determined by calculating the required load-bearing capacity based on the weight and load of the structure, and then selecting a beam size that can safely support that load.

5. Can structural beams be resized or modified?

In most cases, structural beams cannot be resized or modified once they have been installed. It is important to carefully calculate and select the appropriate beam size before construction begins to avoid potential issues and safety hazards.