General Relativity - Tensor Identities

In summary, the conversation on page 75 of the given source discusses the calculation of the energy-momentum tensor using the contracted Bianchi identity. The correct use of the covariant derivative and the Bianchi identity are emphasized. The conversation also includes a discussion on the equality of double covariant and double normal derivatives, and the use of metric compatibility in calculations.
bigubau said:
That's correct. About the last part, you have to compute the covariant D'Alembertian for a scalar field. It boils down to computing the covariant 4-divergence of a vector field and further to expressing

[tex] \Gamma^{\nu}_{~\nu\mu} = f\left(\partial_{\mu}\sqrt{\left| g\right|}\right) [/tex]

which is a standard formula. A proof of that you can find on the internet, or, for example, in Dirac's little book.

So do you mean we have to compute [tex]\partial_a\partial^a\phi[/tex]? Also could you possibly direct me to a proof of [tex] \Gamma^{\nu}_{~\nu\mu} = f\left(\partial_{\mu}\sqrt{\left| g\right|}\right) [/tex]? I have never seen that before. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have attached a screenshot from Dirac's little book. I use it to make the following computations

[tex] \Box \phi = \nabla_a \nabla^a \phi = \partial_a \left(g^{ab}\partial_b \phi\right) + \Gamma^{c}_{~ca}g^{ab}\partial_b \phi = 0 [/tex]

Now plug the formula from Dirac for [itex] \Gamma^{c}_{~ca} [/itex] and multiply both sides of the new equality by [itex] \sqrt{-g} [/itex].

You should be then able to find the formula you wish to prove.

Attachments

• Dirac-screenshot.jpg
    Dirac-screenshot.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
bigubau said:
I have attached a screenshot from Dirac's little book. I use it to make the following computations

[tex] \Box \phi = \nabla_a \nabla^a \phi = \partial_a \left(g^{ab}\partial_b \phi\right) + \Gamma^{c}_{~ca}g^{ab}\partial_b \phi = 0 [/tex]

Now plug the formula from Dirac for [itex] \Gamma^{c}_{~ca} [/itex] and multiply both sides of the new equality by [itex] \sqrt{-g} [/itex].

You should be then able to find the formula you wish to prove.

Thank you for your help bigubau, I have derived the formula now but I don't understand the last two equalities of that screenshot from Dirac's little book, especially where the log(g) comes from. Could you elaborate please?

Ok I've worked out where the last equality comes from (it was quite easy actually, should of seen it). But I still don't understand why [tex]g^{ab}g_{ab,c}=g^{-1}g_{,c}[/tex]

What is [itex] g_{,c} [/itex] equal to ? It's a formula very important in General Relativity. It's the derivative of the determinant of the metric tensor (or any square matrix in general). It's discussed in every GR book and surely on PF too, if not right in thir very thread. :)

bigubau said:
What is [itex] g_{,c} [/itex] equal to ? It's a formula very important in General Relativity. It's the derivative of the determinant of the metric tensor (or any square matrix in general). It's discussed in every GR book and surely on PF too, if not right in thir very thread. :)

Sorry I should of explained, I know that [tex]g=det(g_{ab})[/tex] and therefore what we have to prove is that [tex]g^{ab}g_{ab,c}=\frac{1}{det(g_{ab})}\partial_c(det(g_{ab}))[/tex] but I get stuck here, I know it probably involves the inverse of metric somehow but having the partial derivative in there is confusing me.