General solution to 2nd order ODE

Then -5a= 2 so a= -2/5. So the complete solution is y= c1e^6t+ c2e^t+ (-2/5+ t/10)e^t= c1e^6t+ (c2- 2/5)e^t+ te^t/10
forty
Find the general solution of the ordinary differential equation.

y'' - 7y'+ 6y = 2e^(3t) + te^(t)

First i found GS(H) by lettings y = e^(cx)

and got GS(H) = Ae^(6t) + Be^(t)

i then found PS(IH) y'' - 7y'+ 6y = 2e^(3t) by letting y = ae^(3t)

and got PS(IH) = -(1/3)e^(3t)

Now my problem
I am trying to find the other PS(IH) y'' - 7y'+ 6y = te^(t)
do i do this by letting y = (a+bt)e^(t) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
Find the general solution of the ordinary differential equation.

y'' - 7y'+ 6y = 2e^(3t) + te^(t)

First i found GS(H) by lettings y = e^(cx)

and got GS(H) = Ae^(6t) + Be^(t)

i then found PS(IH) y'' - 7y'+ 6y = 2e^(3t) by letting y = ae^(3t)

and got PS(IH) = -(1/3)e^(3t)

Now my problem
I am trying to find the other PS(IH) y'' - 7y'+ 6y = te^(t)
do i do this by letting y = (a+bt)e^(t) ??
Normally, you would try that but since et is already a solution to the homogeneous equation, this will not work. (Surely you have already tried and discovered that?) The standard step for this situation is to multiply by t: try y= (at+ bt2et.

you say try y= (at+ bt2et.

is that bracket suppose to be there? I am not sure if that's (at+bt^2)e^t or at+b(t^2).e^t

Last edited:
I used y = (at+bt^2)e^t
y' = (at+bt^2)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t
y'' = (at+bt^2)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t + 2be^t

i substituted those in and equated coefficients and got the result a = o and b = 1/10

have i done this right ?

I didn't get that. For me, neither a nor b is zero. Why don't you check this by substituting it into the modified DE to see if it satifies the equation?

forty said:
I used y = (at+bt^2)e^t
y' = (at+bt^2)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t
y'' = (at+bt^2)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t + (a+2bt)e^t + 2be^t
= (at+ bt^2)e^t+ 2(a+ 2bt)e^t+ 2be^t

i substituted those in and equated coefficients and got the result a = o and b = 1/10

have i done this right ?

You want y'' - 7y'+ 6y = 2e^(3t) + te^(t) and you've already done the "2e^(3t)" part.

y'' = (at+ bt^2)e^t+ 2(a+ 2bt)e^t+ 2be^t
-7y'= -7(at+bt^2)e^t - 7(a+ 2bt)e^t
+6y= 6(at+ bt^2)e^t

so y"- 7y'+ 6y= -5(a+ 2bt)e^t+ 2be^t= (-5a+ 2b)e^t+ -10bte^t= te^t. Equating "like coefficients, -10b= 1 so b= -1/10, not 1/10.

FAQ: General solution to 2nd order ODE

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and independent variables. It is of the form d²y/dx² = f(x,y,dy/dx), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. What is a general solution to a second order ODE?

A general solution to a second order ODE is a solution that satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. It contains two arbitrary constants, which can be determined by applying initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do you solve a second order ODE?

The most common method for solving a second order ODE is by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution and combining it with the complementary function, which is the general solution to the homogeneous equation (when f(x,y,dy/dx) = 0).

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a solution to an ODE that contains arbitrary constants and satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for certain values of the independent variable, which can be determined by applying initial or boundary conditions.

5. Can a second order ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order ODE can have multiple solutions. In fact, for a linear second order ODE, the general solution contains two arbitrary constants, which means there are infinite possible solutions. However, only one solution will satisfy the given initial or boundary conditions.