General solution to 2nd order....

In summary, the conversation discusses using undetermined coefficients to find a general solution to a differential equation with an exponential function as the non-homogeneous term. The expert suggests a method for finding the particular solution and confirms the solution obtained by the individual.
rayne1
I'm supposed to use undetermined coefficients to find a general solution to:
y" + 4y' +3y =4^(-t)

I can't find an example online where f(t) is equal to an exponential function that does not have e as the base, so I have no idea how to solve it.

So far, I found the general solution to the homogeneous equation which is:
y(t) = Ae^(-1t) + Be^(-3t).

Physics news on Phys.org
rayne said:
I'm supposed to use undetermined coefficients to find a general solution to:
y" + 4y' +3y =4^(-t)

I can't find an example online where f(t) is equal to an exponential function that does not have e as the base, so I have no idea how to solve it.

So far, I found the general solution to the homogeneous equation which is:
y(t) = Ae^(-1t) + Be^(-3t).

When what you try for a particular solution appears in your homogeneous solution, multiply it by t. If that appears in it, multiply that by t, etc...

Here $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = C\,t\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} \end{align*}$ should work.

Prove It said:
When what you try for a particular solution appears in your homogeneous solution, multiply it by t. If that appears in it, multiply that by t, etc...

Here $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = C\,t\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} \end{align*}$ should work.

I tried and it didn't work. Don't know if I made a mistake in differentiating but this is what I did:
y = Cte^(-t)
y' = Ce^(-t)-Cte^(-t)
y'' = -Ce^(-t)-Ce^(-t)-Cte^(-t)

When I plugged it back into the original equation, I got 0.

Edit: Oh, Is y" supposed to equal -Ce^(-t)-Ce^(-t)+Cte^(-t), instead?

Last edited:
Hint:

\(\displaystyle 4^{-t}=e^{-\ln(4)t}\)

So, can you show that the particular solution must be of the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=A\cdot4^{-t}\)?

MarkFL said:
Hint:

\(\displaystyle 4^{-t}=e^{-\ln(4)t}\)

So, can you show that the particular solution must be of the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=A\cdot4^{-t}\)?

Not sure if correct, but I got:

yp(t) = 4^(-t)/(log^2(4)-4(log(4))+3)

rayne said:
Not sure if correct, but I got:

yp(t) = 4^(-t)/(log^2(4)-4(log(4))+3)

Yes, that agrees with W|A. Good job! (Yes)

rayne said:
I tried and it didn't work. Don't know if I made a mistake in differentiating but this is what I did:
y = Cte^(-t)
y' = Ce^(-t)-Cte^(-t)
y'' = -Ce^(-t)-Ce^(-t)-Cte^(-t)

When I plugged it back into the original equation, I got 0.

Edit: Oh, Is y" supposed to equal -Ce^(-t)-Ce^(-t)+Cte^(-t), instead?

Yes it should be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y'' = -C\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} - C\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} + C\,t\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} = C\,t\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} - 2C\,\mathrm{e}^{-t} \end{align*}$...

- - - Updated - - -

I apologise, for some reason I read the RHS of your DE as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4\mathrm{e}^{-t} \end{align*}$, not $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 4^{-t} \end{align*}$. Please disregard my other posts in this thread.

FAQ: General solution to 2nd order....

What is a general solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

A general solution to a 2nd order differential equation is an equation that contains two arbitrary constants and can be used to find all possible solutions to the given differential equation.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution includes arbitrary constants and can be used to find all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions or boundary conditions.

How do you find the general solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

To find the general solution to a 2nd order differential equation, you need to solve the equation using standard methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. Once you have found the general solution, you can use it to find a particular solution to the given differential equation.

Why do we need a general solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

A general solution allows us to find all possible solutions to a given differential equation, which is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the system described by the differential equation and make predictions about its future behavior.

Can a general solution to a 2nd order differential equation always be found?

No, not all 2nd order differential equations have a general solution. Some equations may have specific conditions or restrictions that need to be met in order to find a general solution, while others may have no solution at all.