General uncertainties question - type B

In summary: Therefore, it is best to consult the relevant standards for guidance in confidently assigning probability distributions to uncertainties.
lavster

Homework Statement

i am trying to quanify uncertainties..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For type B uncertainties I have calibration of the oscilloscope, scale reading of the ocilloscope and the uncertaninty of the setup, with associated percentage errors of 2.5%, 1.5% and 3%. I now need to determine whether they follow a normal or rectangular distribution and apply the relevant divisor to my estimated percentage uncertainty. I am unsure how you determine what is normal and what is rectangular. I would assume calibration is normal and scale reading is rectangular? but that's a guess and I have no idea about the uncertainty of the set up ( this includes things like everything is in a straight line etc) Can anyone tell me how I go about coinfidently assigning which probability distribution each one has?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
. In order to determine which probability distribution is associated with each of the uncertainties, you should consult the applicable standards for the type of measurement being made. For example, if you are measuring a voltage, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard 60044-1 specifies that calibration and scale readings should follow normal distributions, while the uncertainty of the setup should follow a rectangular distribution. It is important to note, however, that the exact probability distributions may vary depending on the specifics of the measurement being made.

Related to General uncertainties question - type B

1. What is a type B uncertainty?

A type B uncertainty is a type of uncertainty that arises from sources such as mathematical models, assumptions, or expert judgement. It is also known as a random uncertainty.

2. How is type B uncertainty calculated?

Type B uncertainty is typically calculated by using statistical methods such as standard deviation, confidence intervals, or Monte Carlo simulations. These methods help to quantify the uncertainty associated with a particular measurement or estimate.

3. What is the difference between type A and type B uncertainty?

Type A uncertainty is a type of uncertainty that arises from direct measurements and is typically expressed as a standard deviation. Type B uncertainty, on the other hand, arises from sources such as mathematical models or assumptions and is also known as a random uncertainty.

4. How do scientists account for type B uncertainty in their research?

Scientists can account for type B uncertainty by carefully considering and quantifying the uncertainty associated with their measurements and estimates. This can involve using statistical methods, conducting sensitivity analyses, or consulting with experts in the field.

5. Why is it important to consider type B uncertainty in scientific research?

It is important to consider type B uncertainty in scientific research because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results. By accounting for all sources of uncertainty, scientists can have a better understanding of the limitations of their findings and make more informed conclusions.

Back