Generalize improper integral help

In summary, the conditions necessary for the improper integral of 1/(x^p) from 0 to 1 to converge are that p must be greater than 1. This can be determined by setting the numerator of the limit expression to go to 0 rather than infinity. However, the integral of 1/x^2 from 0 to 1 does not converge even though 2>1, so this method may not be applicable in all cases.
TheKracken

Homework Statement

Generalize the integral from 0 to 1 of 1/(x^p)
What conditions are necessary on P to make the improper integral converge and not diverge?

I believe I have the answer but I would like to make it more formal and sound. Can someone help me with that?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Lim(b--> infinity) of ∫ 1/(x^p)dx (from 1 to b)
= lim(b--> ∞) of ∫ x^(-p)dx (from 1 to b)
= lim(b-->∞) of (x^(-p +1))/(-p+1) evaluated (from 1 to b)
= lim(b--> ∞) of [(b^(-p + 1))/(-p+1) - (1^(-p+1))/(-p+1))]

From here I would normally apply the limit to the last thing listed but it seems there are some constraints immediately needed.

P ≠ 1 also x ≠ 0
how would I figure out what constraints need to be put on P for the improper integral to converge?

By intuition I think I figured out the solution. I would need the [(b^(-p + 1))/(-p+1) portions numerators power to go negative so we can have it tend to 0 rather than infinity.

Therefore I conclude that P>1 for the integral to converge.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheKracken said:

Homework Statement

Generalize the integral from 0 to 1 of 1/(x^p)
What conditions are necessary on P to make the improper integral converge and not diverge?

I believe I have the answer but I would like to make it more formal and sound. Can someone help me with that?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Lim(b--> infinity) of ∫ 1/(x^p)dx (from 1 to b)
= lim(b--> ∞) of ∫ x^(-p)dx (from 1 to b)
= lim(b-->∞) of (x^(-p +1))/(-p+1) evaluated (from 1 to b)
= lim(b--> ∞) of [(b^(-p + 1))/(-p+1) - (1^(-p+1))/(-p+1))]

From here I would normally apply the limit to the last thing listed but it seems there are some constraints immediately needed.

P ≠ 1 also x ≠ 0
how would I figure out what constraints need to be put on P for the improper integral to converge?

By intuition I think I figured out the solution. I would need the [(b^(-p + 1))/(-p+1) portions numerators power to go negative so we can have it tend to 0 rather than infinity.

Therefore I conclude that P>1 for the integral to converge.

The integral of 1/x^2 from 0 to 1 does not converge even though 2>1. I'm really not sure why you are taking the integral from 1 to b and letting b->infinity if you want the integral from 0 to 1.

FAQ: Generalize improper integral help

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the integration limits are infinite, or the integrand is not defined at certain points within the integration limits.

Why do we need to generalize improper integrals?

Generalizing improper integrals allows us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be undefined or infinite. It also allows us to extend the concept of integration to a wider range of functions.

What is the process for generalizing an improper integral?

The process for generalizing an improper integral involves first identifying the type of improper integral (either Type 1 or Type 2), and then using a limit to evaluate the integral. This typically involves breaking the integral into two separate integrals and taking the limit as the integration limits approach infinity or a point of discontinuity.

How do I know if an integral is improper?

An integral is improper if one or both of the integration limits are infinite, or the integrand is not defined at certain points within the integration limits. Additionally, if the integrand is unbounded or oscillatory within the integration limits, the integral may also be improper.

Are there any special techniques for evaluating improper integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for evaluating improper integrals, such as using symmetry, trigonometric substitutions, or integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the integrand and the type of improper integral in order to choose the most appropriate technique.

Back