Generating a negative voltage from a +24V DC source?

In summary, Bob S suggested inverting a Linear Technology DC-DC converter to generate a negative voltage between the rails of a power supply. This resolves the problem of a 12.5A power supply with a negative output.
ephedyn
I have a standard AC-DC rectifier that gives me +24V, 12.5A power supply. Now, I've a problem... what's the simplest way to generate a negative voltage between the rails?

This may sound silly but I really thought I could just use the power supply as I would do to generate a positive voltage, but just run an extra wire to ground the end with the higher potential. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the power supply works because it clearly didn't work.

I ran a search on "generating negative voltage" and saw a number of solutions involving ICs. But these have been proving quite expensive. I found it simple to invert the voltage, but maintaining a 12.5A output will be a problem. Will be great if someone can recommend me a solution! Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need a center tapped transformer to get a split supply.
dual-regulator-power-supply-circuit.gif

Do you want to:

Have a negative supply instead of the positive one?

Have a Positive and a negative supply, both 24 volts at 12.5 amps? (but not 12.5 amps from each at the same time)?

Have your 24 volts become plus 12 and minus 12? ie a split supply with a ground in the middle?

Have an additional negative voltage as well as the plus 24 volts, but the negative supply can be at low current?

Use this Linear Technology search page for inverting regulators.

http://parametric.linear.com/html/inverting_regulators?p=1676990

See page 24 in

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/3758f.pdf

for positive input to negative output application using LT3758.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
^dlgoff: I'll preferably not build another power supply =/ But thanks nonetheless for letting me know about the center-tapped transformer... I'll use that someday if I need a low-noise application.

^vk6kro: I'll like to have the first one: a negative supply instead of the positive one. My supply actually gives me 3 x 24V rails and 3 x 0V rails. I was thinking of something along what Bob S suggested - using a inverting circuit based on a DC-DC converter after one of the 24V rails.

It will be much easier for my application if I can get a higher current than 2A though; do you have an idea for that?

^Bob S: Cool, you always have something close to what I need. The -12V/2A output topology seems good... I think I'll use that if there's no other alternative.

What do you think of this LM22677? http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM22677.html#Overview I have it to produce 12V/5A... any idea how to get it to -12V/5A?

invertingpolarity.png

Thanks everyone!

Oh wait, problem solved! I was referring to the wrong page of http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/3758f.pdf

Much thanks for everyone's input!

FAQ: Generating a negative voltage from a +24V DC source?

1. Can a negative voltage be generated from a positive voltage source?

Yes, it is possible to generate a negative voltage from a positive voltage source. This can be achieved through various techniques such as using an inverting amplifier, a charge pump, or a voltage inverter circuit.

2. What is the purpose of generating a negative voltage?

There are several applications where a negative voltage is required, such as in electronic devices like amplifiers and power supplies, or in industrial processes like electroplating and electrolysis. A negative voltage can also be used to reverse the polarity of a circuit or component.

3. How can I generate a negative voltage from a +24V DC source?

One way to generate a negative voltage from a +24V DC source is by using a voltage inverter circuit, also known as a voltage doubler. This circuit uses capacitors and diodes to invert the polarity of the input voltage and produce a negative output voltage.

4. What are some factors to consider when generating a negative voltage?

Some important factors to consider when generating a negative voltage include the required voltage level, current capacity, stability, and noise level of the output. It is also important to consider the efficiency and cost of the chosen method for generating the negative voltage.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with negative voltages?

Yes, extra caution should be taken when working with negative voltages as they can be hazardous. It is important to use the correct techniques and components, and to never touch any exposed wires or connections when the circuit is powered on. It is also important to use proper grounding and insulation to prevent electric shocks.