Generating a normal random variable

In summary, the problem is that the Excel random number generator isn't good enough to generate random numbers with mean mu and standard deviation sigma. The code should use the Box-Muller transform to generate normally distributed noise.
Physics_wiz
I'm trying to write a program in excel to generate random variables with mean mu and standard deviation sigma. I can simply refer to the worksheet function for it but it takes forever when I have it inside a loop doing a monte carlo simulation. There is one function in excel that returns a random number between 0 and 1 and I can refer to that function in the loop as many times as I want because it's not expensive (ie. doesn't take much time).

So, here's the problem:
I have mu, sigma, and a random number between 0 and 1.
I need to generate a random number from a normal distribution with mean mu and standard deviation sigma.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that Knuth has an algorithm but don't remember any details.

Anyway, I googled on "Normal Distribution" and "algorithm" and got a number of hits. One you might find interesting is this:
http://www.seio.es/test/Archivos/t62/t62bun.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
The "standard" method (I used it years ago) is to generate normal variates in pairs.
If you use exp(-(x2+y2)/2) as the integrand, convert to polar coordinates (r,a), then let u=r2/2, you can then choose u= -ln(X), a=2pi*Y, where X and Y are random numbers, and the normal variates will be rcos(a) and rsin(a), where r=(2u)1/2.

Use the central limit theorem. If you add several uniform random variables, the result is (roughly) Gaussian.

Here's an example from a (Verilog) program:

Code:
//
	// Calculate roughly Gaussian noise by applying the central limit theorem
	// to four [0,1] uniform random numbers. Multiply by sqrt(3) to fix the
	// variance at 1.
	//

noise = ( ( ($random / 4294967295.0 + 0.5) +
		    	($random / 4294967295.0 + 0.5) +
		    	($random / 4294967295.0 + 0.5) +
		    	($random / 4294967295.0 + 0.5) ) - 2.0 ) * 1.732050808 * NOISE_AMPLITUDE;

The example given by mathman is the Box-Muller method, which is faster, but more difficult to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-Muller_transform

Here's an excellent page with code for both methods:

http://www.dspguru.com/howto/tech/wgn2.htm

- Warren

Ok, so I made a small program in excel to test it, but it doesn't look right. Either I'm doing something wrong or excel's random number generator isn't good enough (probably the former).

Here's the code:
Code:
Sub mac()
With Sheets("Sheet1")

For counter = 1 To 1000

For counter2 = 0 To 100
                Randomize
                U1 = Rnd
                Randomize
                U2 = Rnd
                V1 = 2 * U1 - 1
                V2 = 2 * U2 - 1
                S = V1 * V1 + V2 * V2
                If S >= 1 Then counter2 = 100
            Next

X = Sqr(2 * Log(S) / S) * V1
            Y = Sqr(2 * Log(S) / S) * V2

.Cells(counter, 1) = X
            .Cells(counter, 2) = Y
Next
End With

End Sub

This generates 2000 numbers in two columns that are supposed to be normally distrubuted with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. Right?

The problem is that the maximum number in the 2000 generated is .812241 and the minimum is -.82961. With a standard deviation of 1, I should see about 32% of the data outside of the range [-1, 1] but it looks like it's all in the range [-.8, .8]. What's going on here?

I found my mistake! :biggrin:

Here's how the code should look:
Code:
Sub mac()
With Sheets("Sheet1")

For counter = 1 To 1000

For counter2 = 0 To 100
                Randomize
                U1 = Rnd
                Randomize
                U2 = Rnd
                V1 = 2 * U1 - 1
                V2 = 2 * U2 - 1
                S = V1 * V1 + V2 * V2
                If S < 1 Then counter2 = 100
            Next

X = Sqr(-2 * Log(S) / S) * V1
            Y = Sqr(-2 * Log(S) / S) * V2

.Cells(counter, 1) = X
            .Cells(counter, 2) = Y
Next
End With

End Sub

Now I'm getting 4 sigma events just like I should. :biggrin:

Suggestion: try coding the algorithm I proposed. You need log, sin, cos, and sqrt functions. However, you won't have an inner loop.

Related to Generating a normal random variable

1. What is a normal random variable?

A normal random variable, also known as a Gaussian random variable, is a continuous probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world phenomena. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of values falling near the mean and the tails of the curve tapering off towards infinity.

2. How is a normal random variable generated?

A normal random variable can be generated using a random number generator that follows a specific algorithm to produce values that follow a normal distribution. One commonly used method is the Box-Muller transform, which uses two independent uniformly distributed random variables to generate a normal random variable.

3. What are the properties of a normal random variable?

A normal random variable has several important properties, including a symmetric and bell-shaped distribution, a mean and standard deviation that fully describe its shape and location, and the property that the mean, median, and mode are equal. It also follows the 68-95-99.7 rule, meaning that approximately 68%, 95%, and 99.7% of values fall within one, two, and three standard deviations from the mean, respectively.

4. How is a normal random variable used in statistics?

A normal random variable is commonly used in statistics to model real-world data and to make statistical inferences. It is often used in hypothesis testing, confidence interval calculations, and in many other statistical methods. It is also a key component of the central limit theorem, which states that the sum of a large number of independent random variables will approach a normal distribution.

5. Can a normal random variable be transformed into other distributions?

Yes, a normal random variable can be transformed into other distributions through the use of mathematical transformations. For example, taking the logarithm of a normal random variable will result in a log-normal distribution, and taking the square root will result in a chi-squared distribution. These transformations are often used to better fit data to a particular distribution or to simplify calculations in statistical analyses.