Generating a Resonance Curve for a System: A Puzzling Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to generate a resonance curve for a system based on its natural frequency. The speaker suggests using a random number of frequencies and mentions a RLC circuit as an example. Another speaker mentions the concept of resonance and directs the listener to look it up on Wikipedia for more information. The conversation concludes that without the actual transfer function, it is difficult to make specific conclusions about the system.
abcdmichelle

Homework Statement

if i know the natural frequency of a system, how can I generate a resonance curve for the system in terms of frequency vs amplitude.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it will have one peak, like a bell curve and the max will be the natural frequency, but i don't know how to graph a theoretical fft.
i think i should generate a random number of frequencies, or something along those lines!?

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you have a system transfer function. What form is it in?

i don't! :(

All I have is the natural frequency in rad/sec.

Well, do you know anything else about the system? Is it a second order system with damping ratios and so forth? Without the actual transfer function you can only speak in generalities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit" for an RLC circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many simple resonant systems in nature have a Lorentzian line shape or response function. The function is complex; the real part represents energy absorption, the imaginary part is dispersive or reactive (potential energy). If you just plot the magnitude or the magnitude squared, they are, indeed, bell shaped--but they are not Gaussian. Look up "resonance" on Wikipedia for an introduction. You'll find the magnitude squared expression under the "Theory" heading.

Related to Generating a Resonance Curve for a System: A Puzzling Problem

1. What is a resonance curve?

A resonance curve is a graphical representation of how a system responds to different frequencies. It shows the relationship between the input frequency and the system's amplitude or response.

2. How is a resonance curve generated?

A resonance curve is generated by applying a range of frequencies to a system and measuring its response at each frequency. The data is then plotted on a graph, with frequency on the x-axis and response on the y-axis.

3. Why is generating a resonance curve important?

Generating a resonance curve is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a system and identify its resonant frequency. This information can be used to optimize the performance of the system and avoid potential issues, such as excessive vibrations or damage.

4. What factors can affect a system's resonance curve?

Several factors can affect a system's resonance curve, including its physical properties (such as mass and stiffness), the type of input (such as force or displacement), and external conditions (such as temperature). Changes in any of these factors can alter the shape and position of the resonance curve.

5. How can we use a resonance curve to solve a puzzling problem?

A resonance curve can provide valuable insights into a system's behavior, which can help us identify and troubleshoot any puzzling problems. For example, if a system experiences unexpected vibrations or failures at certain frequencies, we can use the resonance curve to pinpoint the resonant frequency and adjust the system accordingly.