Generating Electricity Chemically and Physically.

In summary, the conversation was about the individual's interest in generating electricity through small generators or chemical reactions, and their search for ways to create electric currents for home experiments. They considered using a bike electric generator and a Van De Graff generator, but were unsure of how to spin them constantly. They also expressed a desire to use materials available at home, such as copper wires, test-tubes, and vinegar. The other person suggested using a power supply and mains electricity or finding a way to constantly spin the bike generator.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
I have been interested in making electricity by trying to construct small generators or taking advantage of chemical reactions.
I have found a bike electric generator, but I did not know how to spin it constantly. I am looking for how to make electric currents of 8-20 volts for some home experiments.
I know I could use batteries, but they always go flat.
I thought about using a Van De Graff generator, but I did not know of how to.
Do you have any ideas?

P.S. I wish to only use materials available at home. I have copper wires, test-tubes and vinegar.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what you are really trying to do. Every source of electricity requires some source of energy, be it a chemical one, be it a mechanical one. Are you looking for a way around? There is no way around. To make electricity using bike generator you have to find a way to spin it constantly, period.

Most reliable approach is to just use power supply and mains electricity.

Borek said:
No idea what you are really trying to do. Every source of electricity requires some source of energy, be it a chemical one, be it a mechanical one. Are you looking for a way around? There is no way around. To make electricity using bike generator you have to find a way to spin it constantly, period.

Most reliable approach is to just use power supply and mains electricity.

Yes, I was wondering how to make electricity with chemical reactions or mechanical ways. Do you know how to?

Spinning constantly the bike generator will work. There is no magic way of making that happen, you need to use either wind, or falling water, or some heat engine, or rotate it manually.

Related to Generating Electricity Chemically and Physically.

1. How is electricity generated chemically?

Chemical electricity generation involves converting the energy released from chemical reactions into electrical energy. This can be achieved through the use of batteries or fuel cells, which rely on redox reactions to produce a flow of electrons.

2. What are the most commonly used chemicals for electricity generation?

The most commonly used chemicals for electricity generation include lithium, lead, nickel, and cadmium in batteries, and hydrogen in fuel cells. These chemicals have high energy densities and can undergo efficient redox reactions to produce electricity.

3. How does physical electricity generation work?

Physical electricity generation, also known as mechanical electricity generation, involves converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is typically achieved through the use of generators, which rotate a coil of wire in a magnetic field to produce an electric current.

4. What are the sources of energy used for physical electricity generation?

The sources of energy used for physical electricity generation include fossil fuels, such as coal, natural gas, and oil, as well as renewable sources, such as wind, water, and solar energy. These sources are used to power turbines, which in turn rotate generators to produce electricity.

5. What are the advantages of chemical electricity generation compared to physical electricity generation?

One advantage of chemical electricity generation is its ability to store energy for later use, making it a more reliable source of electricity. It also produces less pollution and can be more efficient in terms of energy conversion. However, physical electricity generation can be more cost-effective and has the potential to generate larger amounts of electricity.