Generating High Frequency Signals

In summary, the best way to generate a high frequency signal (700 MHz - 30 GHz) is to use an industry standard test such as EN 61000-4-3 or rent time at an EMC test lab. For testing frequencies around 100 MHz, a well-shielded room or chamber would be needed. The allowed unlicensed power levels vary with the band and it is important to have a good working knowledge of transmission line theory in order to successfully connect and use the signal. The use of a dipole antenna and a low impedance faraday cage can be helpful in achieving the desired results.
amanno
What is the best way to generate a signal with a high frequency (700 MHz - 30 GHz)?

Is there a preferred circuit diagram for such a design, or is it better to use a processor of some kind?
Is it really heavily based on the length of the antenna (dipole)?

I am trying to do it as cheap as possible but I am not sure if that is very possible.

Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Generating the signal is not really the problem.

Handling it ie successfully connecting to generator and using it is the really difficult part.

You need a good working knowledge of transmission line theory to do this and I worry from the above question.

How would you know if you have achieved your objective?

amanno said:
What is the best way to generate a signal with a high frequency (700 MHz - 30 GHz)?

Is there a preferred circuit diagram for such a design, or is it better to use a processor of some kind?

I am trying to do it as cheap as possible but I am not sure if that is very possible.

Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

What frequency band do you want to transmit in? Do you have a license to transmit in that band?

Well actually the main design is an electromagnetic shield. We have an circuit inside a faraday cage and want to make sure it reflects/blocks higher frequencies (700MHz - 30 GHz). We have the impedance of the box as low as we can but we need to verify with actual testing.

It is a small scale low power test (or will be) so I am hoping a license would not be needed.

The signal can be just random noise just need it to be about 1000 MHz.

Is what I am asking possible or "easier" to build?

Thanks again

amanno said:
Well actually the main design is an electromagnetic shield. We have an circuit inside a faraday cage and want to make sure it reflects/blocks higher frequencies (700MHz - 30 GHz). We have the impedance of the box as low as we can but we need to verify with actual testing.

It is a small scale low power test (or will be) so I am hoping a license would not be needed.

The signal can be just random noise just need it to be about 1000 MHz.

Is what I am asking possible or "easier" to build?

Thanks again

There is an industry standard test for Radiated RF Immunity -- EN 61000-4-3

http://www.teseq.com/com/en/products_solutions/systems/commercial/EN_61000-4-3.php

The test is conducted inside an anechoic chamber to keep the test signals from violating FCC rules. If you have your own shielded room, you could potentially do a similar test, but renting the test equipment would be more expensive than going to your local EMC test lab and renting some "engineering test" time.

Google for "EMC Test Lab" in your area, and give them a call to get a quote. That would be my recommendation. I've spent a *LOT* of time in such labs, testing and improving products that I have been on the design teams for.

Okay great thank you, I will look into one around us, that sounds like a convenient way to do the higher frequency testing.

What if I want to test for frequencies around 100 MHz? I can do that without violating FCC rules as long as I keep the power output below 1 watt correct?

What is the best circuit to use for that kind of a signal output? Again it can be just random noise.

amanno said:
Okay great thank you, I will look into one around us, that sounds like a convenient way to do the higher frequency testing.

What if I want to test for frequencies around 100 MHz? I can do that without violating FCC rules as long as I keep the power output below 1 watt correct?

What is the best circuit to use for that kind of a signal output? Again it can be just random noise.

The allowed unlicensed power levels vary with the band, but 1W is much too high for most bands. Up in the microwave oven band (WiFi around 2.4GHz), the power limits are relaxed, but for most other bands that I'm aware of the power limits are quite low unless you are licensed for that band.

You would need some sort of well-shielded room or chamber in order to do any immunity testing on your own.

http://www.ets-lindgren.com/EMCTestEnclosures

Related to Generating High Frequency Signals

1. What is the purpose of generating high frequency signals?

The purpose of generating high frequency signals is to produce electromagnetic waves with a frequency higher than 20,000 Hz. These signals are used in a variety of applications, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and scientific research.

2. How are high frequency signals created?

High frequency signals can be created using various methods, such as through electronic oscillators, signal generators, or frequency synthesizers. These devices use different techniques to produce a continuous and stable high frequency wave.

3. What factors affect the quality of high frequency signals?

The quality of high frequency signals can be influenced by several factors, including the type of signal generator used, the stability and accuracy of the components, and the presence of any interference or noise. Environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact signal quality.

4. What are the potential risks associated with generating high frequency signals?

Generating high frequency signals can pose certain risks, such as interference with other electronic devices, potential health hazards for individuals with medical implants, and potential damage to sensitive equipment. It is important to follow safety protocols and regulations when working with high frequency signals.

5. How can high frequency signals be used in scientific research?

High frequency signals have a wide range of applications in scientific research. They are used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and biology to study the properties of matter, gather data from distant objects, and investigate biological processes. High frequency signals are also used in medical research for imaging and diagnostic purposes.