Generating Noether charges for Dirac Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Noether currents and associated charges for Lorentz transformations of the Dirac Lagrangian. The resulting currents align with Eq. (5.74) in a certain document, but there is confusion about the anticommutator term and how it relates to the generation of all Lorentz transformations. The use of a Hermitian Dirac Lagrangian is recommended, and it is noted that only the spin part of Eq. (5.74) vanishes for boost generators. The discussion also touches on the unitary representation of non-compact groups and the realization of hermitian Noether charges.
JustMeDK
I have been calculating the currents and associated Noether charges for Lorentz transformations of the Dirac Lagrangian. Up to some spacetime signature dependent overall signs I get for the currents expressions in agreement with Eq. (5.74) in http://staff.science.uva.nl/~jsmit/qft07.pdf .

What confuses me is the 'inner' term, the anticommutator term. The associated charges vanish for boost generators, simply because the anticommutator itself vanishes for boosts, so how can these Noether charges generate all Lorentz transformations? Have I misunderstood something fundamental?

PS: The charges resulting from Eq. (5.74) are hermitian. This by itself is, of course, inconsistent with the fact that boost generators are antihermitian, generating as they do the non-compact part of the Lorentz group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JustMeDK said:
I have been calculating the currents and associated Noether charges for Lorentz transformations of the Dirac Lagrangian. Up to some spacetime signature dependent overall signs I get for the currents expressions in agreement with Eq. (5.74) in http://staff.science.uva.nl/~jsmit/qft07.pdf .

You need to be careful when you use the Hermitian Dirac Lagrangian; it is always a good idea to throw away a total divergence and work instead with
[tex]\mathcal{L} = \bar{\psi}( i \gamma^{a}\partial_{a} - m) \psi[/tex]

What confuses me is the 'inner' term, the anticommutator term. The associated charges vanish for boost generators, simply because the anticommutator itself vanishes for boosts, so how can these Noether charges generate all Lorentz transformations? Have I misunderstood something fundamental?

Only the spin part vanishes; there is a non-vanishing contribution from the orbital (boost) part of the angular momentum tensor [itex]J^{0k}[/itex].

PS: The charges resulting from Eq. (5.74) are hermitian. This by itself is, of course, inconsistent with the fact that boost generators are antihermitian, generating as they do the non-compact part of the Lorentz group.

There is no inconsistency; these charges generate infinite dimensional unitary representation of the Lorentz group. Non-compact groups do admit such representations.

sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply.

Since yesterday I have myself realized that it is best to start from [itex]{\cal{L}}_{D} = \bar{\psi}(i\gamma^{\rho}\partial_{\rho} - m)\psi [/itex]. I'am aware of the fact that for boosts only the spin part of Eq. (5.74) vanishes. I apologize if that was not apparent from my formulation.

I'am also aware of the fact that unitary representations of a non-compact group can only be infinite-dimensional. Although I first realize it now, this tallies nicely with [itex]L_{\mu\nu} = -i(x_{\mu}\partial_{\nu} - x_{\nu}\partial_{\mu})[/itex] being an infinite-dimensional representation of the Lorentz group, while [itex]S_{\mu\nu} = \frac{i}{4}[\gamma_{\mu},\gamma_{\nu}][/itex] is finite-dimensional.

So let's see if I have understood what is going on: A hermitian Lagrangian can, of course, only produce hermitian Noether currents and thus hermitian Noether charges, the latter of which can only be represented infinite-dimensionally if they generate non-compact parts of some symmetry group, for instance, boosts of the Lorentz group.

I have never before explicitly carried out such a Noether current/charge calculation and what surprises me the most is, if not misconceived, that [itex]{\cal{L}}_{D}[/itex] and its hermitized version, which differ only by a four-divergence, can end up with Noether charges which either generates internal boosts or do not.

Last edited:

FAQ: Generating Noether charges for Dirac Lagrangian

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system of particles, taking into account both their positions and velocities. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of relativistic particles, specifically electrons.

2. Why is it important to generate Noether charges for the Dirac Lagrangian?

Noether charges are conserved quantities in a system, meaning that they remain constant over time. Generating Noether charges for the Dirac Lagrangian allows us to identify and study these conserved quantities, which can provide important insights into the behavior and properties of the system.

3. How are Noether charges generated for the Dirac Lagrangian?

The process of generating Noether charges for the Dirac Lagrangian involves applying Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in a system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. By identifying the symmetries present in the Dirac Lagrangian, we can then determine the corresponding Noether charges.

4. What are some examples of Noether charges for the Dirac Lagrangian?

Examples of Noether charges for the Dirac Lagrangian include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These are all conserved quantities that correspond to symmetries in the system, such as time translation symmetry, spatial translation symmetry, and rotational symmetry.

5. How do Noether charges contribute to our understanding of the Dirac Lagrangian?

Noether charges provide important insights into the behavior and properties of the Dirac Lagrangian. By studying these conserved quantities, we can better understand the symmetries and dynamics of the system, and potentially make predictions about its behavior and interactions with other systems.

Back