Generator Input and Output Power

In summary, the brushless motor should provide about 64Volts at 250KV when connected to a combustion engine.
diode1990
Hello I try to build a brushless Generator.

Let me try to explain it.

I have a brushless engine. max 6000 Watt 250KV.
And I have combustion engine. 3500 Watt by 16k RPM

If I connect the combustion engine with the brushless motor and the combustin engine turns with 16k
the brushless motor should provide about 1600RPM / 250KV = 64Volt

The combustion engine should have by 16k RPM 3500 Watts,according the performance datasheet.

If the brushless engine would a efficiency of 80% I should get out about 64 Volts with 44 Ampere.

3500Watt * 0.80 = 2800 Watt

2800Watts / 64Volt = 43,75 Ampere

I´m right or not ;)

THX

Engineering news on Phys.org
diode1990 said:
6000 Watt 250KV.

I think you mean 250V, not 250KV, correct?

diode1990 said:
1600RPM / 250KV = 64Volt

No, with most motors voltage is not proportional to RPM.

Can you post a photo of the name plate of the brushless motor? Use the UPLOAD button to post pictures.

What load do you want to supply with this generator? It is the load's needs that determine the voltage/current requirements.

I think the OP means 250 rpm/V. Eg its the motor constant. I'm wondering if this is a brushless DC motor?

Sounds like you are playing with RC brushless motors, at least that is where they typically rate motor as xxxxKV (rpm/V), I'm more used to seeing the EMF constant as xxV/krpm. Contrary to a previous statement, pretty much all (magnetic) electric machines produce voltage exactly proportional to rotational speed, double the speed doubles the induced voltage.

So if you are dealing with a 16krpm, and not 1600rpm, then you will get about 16000/250=64V.

Keep in mind this will be an AC voltage with a frequency determined by the pole pair count of the machine and its speed.

As soon as you put a load on it however things change, you have a frequency dependent impedance from the stator inductance as well as the winding resistance, so while the higher speed generates more voltage, its doing so at a higher frequency which means you loose more voltage with load from the increased impedance.

Plus this thing screaming at 16krpm will be horrible for any period of time!

Likes russ_watters

Related to Generator Input and Output Power

1. How do you calculate the input power of a generator?

The input power of a generator can be calculated by multiplying the generator's voltage and current. This will give you the total power in watts that is being supplied to the generator.

2. What is the difference between input and output power of a generator?

The input power of a generator refers to the amount of power being supplied to the generator, while the output power refers to the amount of power being produced by the generator. The difference between the two is known as the efficiency of the generator.

3. Can the input power of a generator be greater than the output power?

Yes, it is possible for the input power of a generator to be greater than the output power. This can happen if the generator is not operating at maximum efficiency, or if there are other factors such as resistance or energy loss in the system.

4. How does the load affect the output power of a generator?

The load, or the amount of power being drawn from the generator, directly affects the output power of a generator. As the load increases, the output power will decrease, and vice versa.

5. What are the units of measurement for input and output power of a generator?

The units of measurement for input and output power of a generator are watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). These units represent the amount of power being supplied or produced by the generator, respectively.