Generic (Non-Proprietary) Powercord Recommendations?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the power adapter for the HP-15 laptop seems to work with some AC outlets, but not with others. The best way to check the output voltage is to use a voltmeter.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I have an ailing powercord in my PC (HP15, Win8.1 64-bit). Last I checked, powercords were proprietary, i.e., designed specifically for a given brand, if not brand model). Does anyone know of non-proprietary cords that may work for my PC?
EDIT: I would also like to know where the problem is: is the cord damaged or is the issue with my PC? Other than the obvious idea of trying other power cord (that is not an option at the moment) what can I do to determine where the problem is?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Power cables? Like the cable that runs from the wall outlet to the power supply in your PC? I've never had a proprietary power cable. As far as I know just about any power cable out of the surplus bin at your local computer parts store should work.

Likes WWGD
Wait, after looking up the HP15 it looks like it's a laptop. That's a bit different. Those might be proprietary. I know the power cable for my old laptop won't fit in my new laptop, as I tried it recently.

Likes WWGD
Drakkith said:
Power cables? Like the cable that runs from the wall outlet to the power supply in your PC? I've never had a proprietary power cable. As far as I know just about any power cable out of the surplus bin at your local computer parts store should work.
Thanks, but there is a circular input node for the power cable and it may not fit the diameter of just any power cable.

WWGD said:
there is a circular input node for the power cable and it may not fit the diameter of just any power cable.
Does the power cable also have a transformer ("wall wart") that actually plugs into the wall outlet?

Likes WWGD
This is a power supply, not a power cable. It turns AC into DC, and is specific to the laptop. Neither the laptop's voltage nor connector is standardized across laptops. If you Google "HP-15 power adapter", you will see many options.

Likes WWGD
berkeman said:
They look to be fairly inexpensive to replace:

https://www.google.com/search?site=...img..0.11.481...0j0i30k1j0i8i30k1.f5TP5o-a-k8

Have you measured the DC output with a DVM? How do you know it's bad?
Hi, thanks for your reply. The issue is that when the computer is plugged, the PC is using the battery, i.e., battery is being drained out even when the Pc is plugged into the wall socket, i.e., the power is not "going to the computer". I don't know if the issue is with the computer or with the cable. I noticed the connector part of the cable (please excuse my ignorance of this area, and the main terms) does not heat up when the cable is plugged in.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is a power supply, not a power cable. It turns AC into DC, and is specific to the laptop. Neither the laptop's voltage nor connector is standardized across laptops. If you Google "HP-15 power adapter", you will see many options.

Strange thing is that it works on-and-off, and in some outlets but not in others. Thanks, I will do a seaarch on "HP-15 power adapter".

jtbell said:
Does the power cable also have a transformer ("wall wart") that actually plugs into the wall outlet?
No, it only has a three-prong plug into the wall, not sure of the technical name, I am embarrassed at my ignorance in this area.

WWGD said:
Hi, thanks for your reply. The issue is that when the computer is plugged, the PC is using the battery, i.e., battery is being drained out even when the Pc is plugged into the wall socket, i.e., the power is not "going to the computer". I don't know if the issue is with the computer or with the cable. I noticed the connector part of the cable (please excuse my ignorance of this area, and the main terms) does not heat up when the cable is plugged in.
Do you have access to a voltmeter? That's the best way to figure out whether the power brick is still working. Also, the cord and connector will not heat up, but the brick itself should get warm when charging.

And since you say it seems to work with some AC outlets, use the voltmeter to check the output voltage as you move the brick from outlet to outlet.
When you plug the adapter into the HP-15 laptop, and click on the battery icon, does it indicate it is charging?

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
No, it only has a three-prong plug into the wall, not sure of the technical name, I am embarrassed at my ignorance in this area.
Wait, so it really is just a cord? Not like the images of the HP-15 power bricks that I posted earlier in this thread?

Likes WWGD
berkeman said:
Wait, so it really is just a cord? Not like the images of the HP-15 power bricks that I posted earlier in this thread?
My bad, sorry, it is one of the ones you described.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:

Do you know the main "parameters" to look out for when buying one? I am in kind of a hurry and would like to buy one from a local store. By parameters I mean, e.g., the parameter of the input node, voltage, etc?

WWGD said:
Do you know the main "parameters" to look out for when buying one? I am in kind of a hurry and would like to buy one from a local store. By parameters I mean, e.g., the parameter of the input node, voltage, etc?
There's the output voltage and the actual connector that plugs into your laptop. The latter tends to be proprietary, though, so your best bet is to buy one online that is specified for the laptop.

Likes WWGD
Thanks to all; the (extremely boring) saga is over. I found a universal charger and it is working, albeit at a pretty steep $65. Anyway, a caveat : I remembered I had been doing a lot of "coffee-shop hopping" for a few months, and I suspect that all the folding and unfolding of the charger (to deploy and pullback when heading out) may have damaged it somewhat. Thanks again.

FAQ: Generic (Non-Proprietary) Powercord Recommendations?

1. What is a generic (non-proprietary) power cord?

A generic power cord is a type of power cord that is not specific to any particular brand or device. It is a universal power cord that can be used with a variety of electronic devices.

2. Are generic power cords safe to use?

Yes, as long as they meet safety standards and are approved by regulatory agencies such as UL, CSA, or ETL. It is important to check for these certifications before using a generic power cord.

3. How do I know which generic power cord to use for my device?

It is important to check the specifications of your device to determine the appropriate voltage, current, and plug type required. Generic power cords come in a variety of options, so it is important to choose one that matches the specifications of your device.

4. Can I use a generic power cord if my device came with a proprietary one?

Yes, as long as the specifications of the generic power cord match those of your device. However, using a non-proprietary power cord may void the warranty of your device.

5. Are generic power cords compatible with international outlets?

It depends on the type of generic power cord. Some may come with adapters for international outlets, while others may not. It is important to check for this feature before purchasing a generic power cord for international use.