Geodesic exponential map distance

In summary, the problem is to prove that ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| + O(t^2 )## using the exponential map and the infimum of curve lengths. One approach is to show that for small time, the geodesics are length minimizing, and use this to argue that locally ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| ##. However, the poster is having difficulty with the explicit computation and incorporating the ##O(t^2 )## term. They are looking for further insights or a rewording of the problem.
ireallymetal

Homework Statement

Hi all. For some reason I have been having a lot of difficulty with this problem in Peter Petersen's text. The problem is
Prove: ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| + O(t^2 )##

Homework Equations

The exponential map is the usual geodesic exponential map. And ##d(p,q)## is the infinum of the lengths of all curves starting at ##p## and ending at ##q##. ##|v-w|## is in the norm of the metric of the manifold.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am aware that for small time the geodesics are length minimizing at that ##d(exp_p(v),exp_p(tv) = \int_t ^1|\gamma'|ds = \int_t^1|v| = (1-t)|v|## and that I can probably make a similar argument to get that locally ##d(exp_p(tv), exp_p(tw)) = |t||v-w| ##.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the explicit computation. I think intuitively I sort of understand what this equation is telling me but I'm having trouble with the proof. I have no idea how to work in the ##O(t^2 )##. I don't see any Taylor expansions or where non-linear terms would come in. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Geodesic exponential map distance

What is the Geodesic exponential map distance?

The Geodesic exponential map distance is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the distance between two points on a curved surface, such as a sphere or a curved space. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and provides a more accurate distance than a straight line distance.

How is the Geodesic exponential map distance calculated?

The Geodesic exponential map distance is calculated by taking into account the curvature of the surface and finding the shortest path, or geodesic, between two points. This involves using mathematical formulas and equations to determine the distance along the curved surface.

What is the significance of the Geodesic exponential map distance?

The Geodesic exponential map distance is significant because it allows for more accurate measurements and calculations on curved surfaces. It is used in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and geography to understand and analyze the properties of curved spaces.

Can the Geodesic exponential map distance be applied to any curved surface?

Yes, the Geodesic exponential map distance can be applied to any curved surface, as long as the surface has a defined metric or measurement system. This includes surfaces such as spheres, ellipsoids, and even more complex curved spaces.

Are there any real-life applications of the Geodesic exponential map distance?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the Geodesic exponential map distance. It is used in navigation systems to calculate the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, in geology to measure the distance between points on a curved Earth, and in computer graphics to render realistic 3D objects on curved surfaces.