Geoemtrical Optics: Principal Plane question

In summary, we are given the specifications of an equiconvex lens and its placement between air and water. An object 5cm high is placed 60cm in front of the lens and we need to find the cardinal points for the lens and the position and size of the image formed. By using the ray transfer matrix and applying the given equations, we can determine the values for the first and second focal points, as well as the distances to the first and second principal planes. However, to use the equation for calculating the object distance, we need to adjust for the thickness of the lens. This leads to the correct answer of 18.94cm for the object distance relative to the first principal plane.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

An equiconvex lens having spherical surfaces of radius 10cm, a central thickness of 2cm, and a refractive index of 1.61 is situated between air and water (n=1.33). An object 5cm high is placed 60cm in front of the lens surface. Find the cardinal points for the lens and the position and size of the image formed.

Homework Equations

##\frac{f^{'}}{s^{'}}+\frac{f}{s}=1##
f' is the second focal point, f is the first focal point, s is the object distance, and s' is the image distance.
##\frac{n_i}{s}+\frac{n_f}{s^{'}}=\frac{n_f}{f^{'}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the ray transfer matrix to solve this question, I won't go through the steps because I know that it is 100% correct.
$$\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{744}{805} & \frac{200}{161}\\
-0.065322 & \frac{2220}{3059}
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
A & B \\
C & D
\end{bmatrix}$$ For my sign convention I have the distance from the first vertex to the first principal plane as ##h=\frac{D-1}{C}##, the distance from the second vertex to the second principal plane as ##h^{'}=\frac{A-1}{C}## and the second focal point as ##f^{'}=-\frac{1}{C}##. In my sign convention if h>0 then it is to the right of the first vertex and if h'>0 then it is to the left of the second vertex. So I get the values (I know these are also correct).
##h=4.12cm \hspace{3mm} h^{'}=1.16cm \hspace{3mm} f^{'}=15.309cm## and then from ##f=\frac{n}{n^{'}}f^{'}\Rightarrow f=11.511cm##. So in order to use the equation I must get the object distance relative to the first plane which is clearly ##s=60cm+4.12cm==64.12cm## but then why I plug that and the other values into the formula ##\frac{n_i}{s}+\frac{n_f}{s^{'}}=\frac{n_f}{f^{'}}## I get 18.65cm. The correct answer is given in my book as 18.94cm which occurs when they use 60cm as the object distance. This makes no sense to me since this is the distance from the first lens not the first principal plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
What am I missing here? A:I figured out my mistake. In order to get the object distance relative to the first principal plane you must subtract off the thickness of the lens from the distance of the object from the first vertex. So s=60-2=58cm and then when I plug this all in I get the correct answer.

Related to Geoemtrical Optics: Principal Plane question

What is a principal plane in geometric optics?

A principal plane in geometric optics is a theoretical plane that is perpendicular to the optical axis of a lens or mirror. This plane is used to simplify calculations and determine the behavior of light rays as they pass through or reflect off of an optical element.

How do you determine the location of the principal plane?

The location of the principal plane can be determined by finding the points where the optical axis intersects with the lens or mirror surface. The principal plane will pass through these points and will be perpendicular to the optical axis.

What is the significance of the principal plane in optical systems?

The principal plane is significant because it is used to determine important properties of an optical system, such as the focal length and image formation. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light rays as they pass through or reflect off of optical elements in the system.

How does the principal plane affect image formation?

The principal plane plays a crucial role in image formation. It determines the position of the image formed by a lens or mirror and also helps in determining the magnification and orientation of the image.

Can the principal plane be located outside of the physical boundaries of a lens or mirror?

Yes, the principal plane can be located outside of the physical boundaries of a lens or mirror. This is known as an external principal plane and it can be used to simplify calculations in certain optical systems.