Geometric area integration of 1/x

In summary, using integral calculus, we can show that the geometric area under the curve y=1/x from x=1 to x=30 is equal to 3.4 area units, represented by ln(30). While it is possible to approximate this area using Riemann sums, it would not be a practical or accurate method without the use of a calculator.
morrobay
Gold Member
given:
ln (x) = integral 1/t dt
from 1 to x
and x=30

Without a calculator and only a graph of y=1/x
How could you show that this geometric area under this curve (with any type of unit)
is equal to 3.4 area units, the ln (30)

not homework, I am looking for a tangible/physical example of above definition

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you question is. If there were a purely geometric way to show that the area under y= 1/x, from x= 1 to x= 30, we wouldn't need integral calculus!

You could, of course, approximate it, using "Rieman sums". If we divide the x-axis, from x= 1 to x= 30, into N equal intervals, the right end of each interval is x= 1+ 29i/N with i from 1 to 30 and each interval has length 29/N. If we set up a rectangle with f(x)= f(1+ i/30)= 1/(1+ i/30)= 30/(i+30), then the area of each rectangle is (30/(i+ 30))(29/N). The area under the curve, then, is approximated by [itex]\sum 30(29)/(N(i+ 30)[/itex]. I suppose you could do that without using a calculator but I wouldn't want to! I will stick with calculus.

FAQ: Geometric area integration of 1/x

1. What is geometric area integration?

Geometric area integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph.

2. Why is 1/x often used as an example for geometric area integration?

1/x is often used as an example for geometric area integration because it is a simple function that is easy to understand and visualize on a graph.

3. How is the area under a curve calculated using geometric area integration?

The area under a curve is calculated by dividing the curve into smaller rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then summing up all the areas.

4. What is the significance of the x-axis in geometric area integration?

The x-axis is used to represent the independent variable in the function and is divided into equal intervals to create the rectangles used in the calculation of the area under the curve.

5. Can geometric area integration be applied to any function?

Yes, geometric area integration can be applied to any function as long as it is continuous and non-negative within the given boundaries.