Geometric meaning of Noether normalization theorem

In summary: This follows from the fact that $f^i(x)=0$ has only finitely many solutions in $k(a_1,\ldots,a_n)$ for every $i=1,\ldots,n$.In summary, Noether normalization states that for an affine variety $X$, the ring $A=k[a_1,\ldots,a_n]$ is a finitely generated $k[y_1,\ldots,y_m]$-module, where $y_1,\ldots,y_m$ are algebraically independent linear forms in $a_1,\ldots,a_n$. These linear forms can be lifted to linear forms in $X_1,\ldots,X_n$, and the map $\Phi:X\longrightarrow
pantboio
Let $X\subset \mathbb{A}^n$ be an affine variety, let $I(X)=\{f\in k[X_1,\ldots,X_n]:f(P)=0,\ \forall P \in X\}$. We consider the ring
$$A=k[a_1,\ldots,a_n]=\frac{k[X_1,\ldots,X_n]}{I(X)}$$
where $a_i=X_i \mod I(X)$.Noether normalization says that there are algebraically indipendent linear forms $y_1,\ldots,y_m$ in $a_1,\ldots,a_n$ such that $A$ is a finitely generated $k[y_1,\ldots,y_m]$-module. These linear forms lift to linear forms $\tilde{y_1},\ldots,\tilde{y_m}$ in $X_1,\ldots,X_n$. Define
$$\pi:=(\tilde{y_1},\ldots,\tilde{y_m}):\mathbb{A}^n\longrightarrow\mathbb{A}^m$$
and then restrict to $X$:
$$\Phi:=\pi:X\longrightarrow\mathbb{A}^m$$
We want to show that $\Phi^{-1}(P)$ is finite and non-empty for every point $P\in\mathbb{A}^m$. Since $A$ is a f.g. $k[y_1,\ldots,y_m]$-module, then $A$ is integral over $k[y_1,\ldots,y_m]$, hence we have
$$a_i^{N}+f^i_{N-1}(y_1,\ldots,y_m)a_i^{N-1}+\ldots+f^i_0(y_1,\ldots,y_m)=0$$
for every $i=1,\ldots,n$, or equivalently
$$X_i^{N}+f^i_{N-1}(\tilde{y_1},\ldots,\tilde{y_m})X_i^{N-1}+\ldots+f^i_0(\tilde{y_1},\ldots,\tilde{y_m})=g_i(X_1,\ldots,X_n)$$
for some $g_i\in I(X)$. If $(x_1,\ldots,x_n)$ is a point of $X$, the $g_i(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=0$ thus $x_i$ is a solution of $f^i(x)=0$, where
$$f^i(x)=x^{N}+f^i_{N-1}(y_1,\ldots,y_m)x^{N-1}+\ldots+f^i_0(y_1,\ldots,y_m)$$
Now, $X$ irreducible implies $I(X)$ prime and so $A$ is an integral domain. We can take field of fractions and consider $f^i(x)\in k(a_1,\ldots,a_n)[X]$. Now by fundamental theorem of algebra, we get that there are only finitely many solutions $x_i^0$ of $f^i(x)=0$
This is what i understood. Now what follows is obscure for me: for every point $y=(y_1,\ldots,y_m)\in\mathbb{A}^m$ we have only finitely many points $x=(x_1^0,\ldots,x_n^0)\in X$ such that $\Phi(x)=y$.
Why this? How does the previous argument imply this conclusion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As you have observed, for every point $y=(y_1,\ldots,y_m)\in \mathbb A^m$ there are only finitely many points $(x_1^0,\ldots,x_n^0)\in X$ such that $\pi(x_1^0,\ldots,x_n^0)=(y_1,\ldots,y_m)$. By definition of $\Phi$, this is the same as saying that there are only finitely many points $(x_1^0,\ldots,x_n^0)\in X$ such that $\Phi(x_1^0,\ldots,x_n^0)=y$.

FAQ: Geometric meaning of Noether normalization theorem

What is the geometric meaning of the Noether normalization theorem?

The Noether normalization theorem is a fundamental result in commutative algebra and algebraic geometry. It states that any affine variety can be embedded into an affine space of one dimension higher. This means that the variety can be described by a single polynomial equation in one additional variable. In geometric terms, this means that the variety can be visualized as a hypersurface in a higher-dimensional space.

What is the significance of the Noether normalization theorem?

The Noether normalization theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for studying and understanding algebraic varieties. By embedding a variety into a higher-dimensional space, we can often gain insight into its geometric properties and better understand its structure. This result has important applications in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, and number theory.

Can the Noether normalization theorem be extended to non-affine varieties?

No, the Noether normalization theorem only holds for affine varieties. However, there are generalizations of this theorem for other types of varieties, such as projective varieties.

How is the Noether normalization theorem related to Hilbert's Nullstellensatz?

The Noether normalization theorem is closely related to Hilbert's Nullstellensatz, which is a fundamental result in algebraic geometry that links algebraic and geometric objects. In fact, the Noether normalization theorem can be seen as a consequence of Hilbert's Nullstellensatz.

What are some applications of the Noether normalization theorem?

The Noether normalization theorem has many applications in algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, and number theory. It is used to study algebraic varieties and their properties, to prove other important theorems, and to solve problems in related fields. For example, it has been used to prove the existence of rational points on certain varieties and to study the behavior of polynomial maps.