Geometric Progression Weighted Average ?

In summary, GPWA or Geometric Progression Weighted Average is a method used in the calculation of the US Dollar Index (USDX). It is calculated by raising the exchange rates of the US dollar with six major currencies to a power value, which represents the % of total US trade with that country, and then multiplying the product with an offset (50.14). The advantage of using GPWA is that it takes into account the varying levels of trade between the US and each country, resulting in a more accurate representation of the USDX. This is in contrast to using a simple arithmetic mean or using weights as multiplying factors, which would not accurately reflect the trade levels.
musicgold
Hi,

I am trying to understand what Geometric Progression Weighted Average (GPWA) is in the context of the calculation of the US Dollar Index (USDX). I understand what a weighted average is but don’t understand what a GPWA is and when one should use it.

The following equation shows how the USDX is calculated using GPWA. In simple terms, the exchange rates of the US dollar with six major currencies are raised to a power value and the product of these terms is multiplied with an offset (50.14) to get the USDX. The power by which an exchange rate is raised represents the % of total US trade with that country. You can read more about http://www.akmos.com/forex/usdx/".
Note that my formula looks a bit different from the formula given in the article, but both formulae give the same answer. The term EUR / USD represents how many Euros can be purchased using one US dollar.

I am trying to understand the advantage of using trade weights as powers (i.e Ex. rate ^ weight) over simply using the weights as multiplying factors (i.e. Ex rate × weight). I know that using the weights as factors would result in a smaller number, but that is not a strong argument for using GPWA as one can always increase the magnitude of the offset to get a large value.

USDX = 50.14348112 × EUR / USD ^ 0.576 × JPY / USD ^ 0.136 × GBP / USD ^ 0.119 × CAD / USD ^ 0.091 × SEK / USD ^ 0.042 × CHF / USD ^0.036

I have calculated the USDX below using exchange rates as of Dec 30, 2008.

EUR / USD 0.7099
JPY / USD 90.36
GBP / USD 0.6924
CAN / USD 1.2185
SEK / USD 7.7565
CHF / USD 1.0575

USDX = 51.1435 × 0.821 × 1.845 × 0.957 × 1.018 × 1.090 × 1.002 = 82.44

Thanks,

MG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
NoMoreExams,

Thanks. No, I understand when to use an arithmetic mean ( when terms are added) and geometric mean (when terms are multiplied). I am not able to understand the use of 'weighted geometric mean'.

Last edited:
Well, let's look at what the arithmetic and geometric means do.

Let's say you have a bunch of values [tex]x_1, \dotsc, x_n[/tex], and you want to find their arithmetic mean. You know, of course, that the arithmetic mean is [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n} x_i = \frac{x_1 + \dotsb + x_n}{n}[/tex].

Next, let's look at a weighted arithmetic mean. Then you have constants [tex]w_1, \dotsc, w_n[/tex] called weights, and to keep things simple, I'll say that [tex]\sum w_i = 1[/tex]. Then the weighted arithmetic mean is [tex]\sum w_i x_i[/tex]. If [tex]w_i = 1/n[/tex], then this is just the regular arithmetic mean.

We can use these same values and weights in a geometric mean. The weighted geometric mean of these values is defined as [tex]\prod x_i^{w_i}[/tex]. If you have [tex]w_i = 1/n[/tex], then this is the usual geometric mean [tex]\prod x_i^{1/n} = \sqrt[n]{x_1 \dotsb x_n}[/tex].

If you want an arithmetic mean, then you must multiply the values by the weights. If you want a geometric mean, then you must use the weights as exponents. As for why a geometric mean is used, I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't quite describe it.

adriank,

Thanks. Now it is clear to me.

As for why GM has been chosen over AM, I am still trying to understand that. The following is an interesting link I came across while searching for material.
Also, I found the following quote an important one and I am trying to apply it in the USDX case.
The big idea behind means is this. You have a bunch of different numbers. You want to replace each of these different numbers by the same number, in such a way that the net effect (the result of combining the numbers) is unchanged.

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~teachadmin/info/harmonic3.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Geometric Progression Weighted Average ?

1. What is a geometric progression weighted average?

A geometric progression weighted average is a type of mathematical average that takes into account not only the values of the data points, but also their relative weights. This means that data points with higher weights have a greater influence on the overall average than those with lower weights.

2. How is a geometric progression weighted average calculated?

A geometric progression weighted average is calculated by multiplying each data point by its corresponding weight, summing these products, and then dividing by the sum of the weights. The formula for calculating a geometric progression weighted average is:
(GPA) = (Sum of (Data Point x Weight)) / (Sum of Weights)

3. What is the difference between a geometric progression weighted average and a regular weighted average?

The main difference between a geometric progression weighted average and a regular weighted average is in how the weights are applied. In a regular weighted average, the weights are simply multiplied by the data points and then divided by the sum of the weights. In a geometric progression weighted average, the weights are multiplied by the data points and then divided by the sum of the weights, but this calculation is done in a geometric progression rather than a linear progression.

4. When should a geometric progression weighted average be used?

A geometric progression weighted average should be used when the data points have different levels of importance or relevance and the average needs to reflect this. This type of average is often used in financial calculations, such as calculating the return on investment for different assets with varying weights.

5. What are the limitations of using a geometric progression weighted average?

One limitation of using a geometric progression weighted average is that it assumes a specific pattern of change in the data points. If the data points do not follow this pattern, the resulting average may not accurately represent the data. Additionally, if the weights are not properly assigned, the average may also be skewed. It is important to carefully consider the data and weights before using a geometric progression weighted average.

Back