Geometry Area Proof (quadrilateral)

In summary, the quadrilateral ABCD inscribed in a circle has the following areas: ABCD= ABE, AOCD= AOD, and ACD= CAD.
albertoid
I'm having trouble with this one:

"Given a convex quadrilateral ABCD, construct a point E on the extension of BC such that the area (ABCD) = (ABE)"

The quadrilateral I drew has A, B, C, D labelled counter-clockwise, and an extension drawn from A to E, where E is BC extended and F is the intersection of AE and DC

I've gotten so far as to figure out i have to construct E so that (ADF) must be equal to the area CEF. I also think that F must be the midpoint of CD, but I'm stuck on what to do now.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a line through D parallel to AC. E is the point where that line intersects BC.

Draw a picture and you should be able to see why the area of ABE is the same as the area of ABCD. (The line AC divides ABCD into two triangles.)

Thanks, HallsofIvy :) I had another question.

ABCD is a quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals, and is inscribed in a circle with center at the point O. Prove that [ABCO] = [AOCD].

I have drawn a cyclic quadrilateral with the vertices AC and BD intersecting at 90 degrees. (Vertices labelled clockwise)

I've broken down the areas of
[ABCO] = [ABO] + [BOC]
[AOCD] = [AOD] + [COD]

However I'm not sure what the next step to take is. I know AO, BO, CO, DO are all radii, but I'm having trouble correlating areas between the two quadrilaterals.

It is fairly easy to show that a quadrilateral with diagonals AC and BD intersecting at 90 degrees is a "kite"- that is, it has at least two pairs of congruent adjacent sides. Here, we must have AB= BC and AD= DC. Further, since angle AOC has vertex at the center while while angle ADC has center on the circle, the measure of angle AOC is twice that of angle ADC.

but this quadrilateral is inscribed in a circle. I seem to have constructed a counterexample of a quadrilateral (inscribed in a circle) that does not have adjacent sides congruent.

However I did realize that m<ADC is 1/2 m<AOC (Thales: subtended by chord AC). I'm not sure it can be used for this area proof.

Related to Geometry Area Proof (quadrilateral)

1. What is a quadrilateral?

A quadrilateral is a geometric shape with four sides and four angles. It is a two-dimensional shape with straight sides and angles that add up to 360 degrees.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral?

The formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral depends on the type of quadrilateral. For a square or rectangle, the formula is length x width. For a parallelogram, the formula is base x height. For a rhombus, the formula is 1/2 x diagonal 1 x diagonal 2. For a trapezoid, the formula is 1/2 x (base 1 + base 2) x height.

3. How do you prove the area of a quadrilateral using geometry?

To prove the area of a quadrilateral using geometry, you can use the formula for the specific type of quadrilateral and show the steps of how you arrived at the formula. You can also use the properties of a quadrilateral, such as congruent sides and angles, to prove the area.

4. Can the area of a quadrilateral be negative?

No, the area of a quadrilateral cannot be negative. Area is always a positive value as it represents the amount of space inside a shape. If you get a negative value when calculating the area, it may mean that you made a mistake in your calculations.

5. How do you find the area of an irregular quadrilateral?

To find the area of an irregular quadrilateral, you can divide the shape into smaller, simpler shapes whose area you know how to calculate, such as triangles or rectangles. Then, you can add up the areas of these smaller shapes to find the total area of the irregular quadrilateral.