• I
  • Thread starter AndreasC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
AndreasC
Gold Member
As an explanation to the Cherenkov angle, images such as this are offered:
Huygens-construction-of-a-conical-Cherenkov-wavefront-a-charged-particle-traveling-in-a.png

This is used to explain the Cherenkov angle θ at which the Cherenkov radiation appears to be propagating. To figure this angle out however one has to assume that the wavefronts are tangent to each of these circles, so that then the direction of propagation and the observed wavefronts have a right angle between them. I don't really get why. I think I'm missing something very obvious, and it probably has to do with interference, but I can't quite explain it.

To be more specific, take a point where that first circle meets the wavefront. If you wait just a little bit, won't the emitted radiation from the second circle reach that point? Won't it then appear to be coming from a different angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is using the Huygens's Principle for emission of waves with velocity ##c_{\text{mat}}=c/n## by a charge moving with a velocity larger than ##c_{\text{mat}}##.

vanhees71 said:
This is using the Huygens's Principle for emission of waves with velocity ##c_{\text{mat}}=c/n## by a charge moving with a velocity larger than ##c_{\text{mat}}##.
I'm not entirely sure how this applies to answer what I said in the end though... I'm also not entirely sure why all the points in that tangent line have the same phase. Perhaps that's why I'm confused.

Likes vanhees71
Wait I see what you mean now about Huygens' principle, but where I'm stuck I guess is why these points are a wavefront, as in why do these points along this line have the same phase, but not some other ones? I think I've misunderstood the nature of radiation being emitted from the electron...

Oof nevermind, I was saying nonsense because I was confused. I see what you mean now, thanks!

Likes vanhees71

FAQ: Geometry of Cherenkov radiation

What is Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a dielectric medium (like water or glass) at a speed greater than the phase velocity of light in that medium. This phenomenon is analogous to a sonic boom but with light, and it often produces a characteristic blue glow.

Why does Cherenkov radiation produce a blue glow?

The blue glow of Cherenkov radiation is due to the spectrum of the emitted light. The intensity of Cherenkov radiation increases with the frequency of the emitted photons, meaning more photons are emitted at shorter (bluer) wavelengths. This results in the characteristic blue color observed in Cherenkov radiation.

What is the angle of Cherenkov radiation, and how is it determined?

The angle of Cherenkov radiation, known as the Cherenkov angle, is determined by the speed of the charged particle and the refractive index of the medium. It can be calculated using the formula: cos(θ) = c / (v * n), where θ is the Cherenkov angle, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, v is the speed of the particle, and n is the refractive index of the medium. The angle is the angle between the direction of the particle and the emitted radiation.

What are the applications of Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation has several important applications in science and technology. It is used in particle detectors to identify high-energy charged particles, in nuclear reactors to monitor the presence and intensity of radiation, and in astrophysics to detect high-energy cosmic rays and neutrinos. Its unique properties make it a valuable tool in experimental physics and engineering.

How does the geometry of the medium affect Cherenkov radiation?

The geometry of the medium can significantly affect the pattern and intensity of Cherenkov radiation. Factors such as the shape, size, and refractive index of the medium, as well as the path of the charged particle, influence the emission and propagation of the radiation. For example, in a cylindrical medium, Cherenkov radiation may form a cone around the particle's trajectory, while in a more complex geometry, the radiation pattern can become more intricate and diffuse.

Back