Geometry problem,very intersting, please check

• Thread starter zafer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, in an isosceles triangle, the altitude, or line segment drawn from the vertex, is also the median and angle bisector. So the angle D or the vertex is bisected into two congruent angles. If to sides are equal DA with DC and also the angles opposite them should be equal, we can name the angles which are congruent with the letter a and the others with letter b. The sum of these will be a+b=90. And then I don't know what to do?
zafer
Geometry problem,very intersting, please check!

Homework Statement

In the figure,AH=HC and AB=DC,measure of angle A is 54.Whats the measure of the angle C?
[PLAIN]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9144/gty.png

Homework Equations

Isosceles triangle theorem, altitudes ,medians ,angle bisectors...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to extend a line segment A to D which is equal to the line segment DC.
Now we have an Isosceles triangle DAC.Since we now that in an isosceles triangle the altitude which is drawn from the vertex of the triangle is also median and angle bisector.So the angle D or the vertex is bisected into two congruent angles.
And if to sides are equal DA with DC and also the angles opposite them should be equal.
We can name the angles which are congruent as ones that are congruent with the letter a and the others with letter b.The sum of these will be a+b=90.
And then I don't know what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

zafer said:

Homework Statement

In the figure,BH=HC and AB=DC,measure of angle B is 54.Whats the measure of the angle C?
What is all the given information? In your figure, you show DH = HC, not BH = HC, and your drawing shows angle DHC as a right angle, but that is not stated in the given information. The picture seems to show that AB and DC are congruent, but that is not given information.
zafer said:
[PLAIN]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9144/gty.png

Homework Equations

Isosceles triangle theorem, altitudes ,medians ,angle bisectors...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to extend a line segment A to D which is equal to the line segment DC.
Now we have an Isosceles triangle DAC.Since we now that in an isosceles triangle the altitude which is drawn from the vertex of the triangle is also median and angle bisector.So the angle D or the vertex is bisected into two congruent angles.
And if to sides are equal DA with DC and also the angles opposite them should be equal.
We can name the angles which are congruent as ones that are congruent with the letter a and the others with letter b.The sum of these will be a+b=90.
And then I don't know what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

No no, AB is congruent to DC and AH is congruent to HC.

Sorry, I gave the wrong information.
If i extend a line segment from A to D will it be congruent to DC

Last edited:

What about angle DHC? Is that a right angle? Your picture shows it as one, but that's not in the given information, which you have changed. It's very difficult to provide help if the information changes or is incomplete.

For the second time, please state all of the information that is given.

What you need to do is to draw another vertical line from point B to the base line AC (let's call this new point E).

You will have 2 new rectangle triangles ABE and BEC.

Looking at BEC:

You can find BE length easily with angle A and length AB

You can find EC length easily with AC = 2*HC, angle A and length AB

Knowing that BEC and DHC share the same angle C, you can find a relationship between them.
This final relationship will be (there are a lot of manipulations to get there):

sin 54 / sin x + cos 54 / cos x = 2

(To get x, I solved it by trial and error and plotting the function, I don't know if there is an easier way)

This equation gives you 2 good answers for x. The first one is x = 54°, which means that BE = DH, such that there are the exact same line (BE), which is not your case, obviously. The other answer has DH < BE, which is your case (actually DH = 0.827*BE).

jack action said:
sin 54 / sin x + cos 54 / cos x = 2

(To get x, I solved it by trial and error and plotting the function, I don't know if there is an easier way)

multiply with sin x * cos x .
then the left side becomes sin(x+54) and the right side sin(2x)

willem2 said:
multiply with sin x * cos x .
then the left side becomes sin(x+54) and the right side sin(2x)

And then with further transformations, you get the other solution:

sin(-x+126) = sin(2x)

Trigonometry transformations are far, but it's all coming back now!

Related to Geometry problem,very intersting, please check

1. What is the definition of a geometry problem?

A geometry problem is a mathematical question that involves the study of shape, size, relative position, and properties of figures in space.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in geometry?

To improve your problem-solving skills in geometry, it is important to practice regularly, understand the basic concepts and formulas, and try different problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams and breaking down the problem into smaller parts.

3. How do I approach a geometry problem?

The first step in approaching a geometry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and what is being asked. Next, draw a diagram and label all known and unknown values. Finally, use the appropriate formulas and problem-solving techniques to find the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving geometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving geometry problems include misreading the problem, using incorrect formulas or units, and not showing all steps of the problem-solving process. It is also important to double-check the answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of geometry problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of geometry problems. For example, architects use geometry to design buildings and structures, engineers use it to design bridges and roads, and cartographers use it to create maps. Additionally, geometry is used in fields such as astronomy, art, and computer graphics.