Geometry question with the perimeter of a circle

In summary, there is a circle with a diameter of d and a point p at the top of the circle. The distance from point p to any other point on the perimeter can be described using the function ##rcrd(\theta)##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two points measured from the center of the circle. This angle can also be related to the angle from the tangent line by simple geometry. Additionally, there are various trigonometric functions, such as ##crd(\theta)##, that were used in the early days of trigonometry.
Jathor
say I have a circle with a diameter of d and there is a point at the top of the circle, p. I want to know the distance from point p to any other point on the perimeter and the angle θ from the tangent line of p. is there a function that will describe this?

I will try to put up a picture to better illustrate.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
https://C:\Users\Candice\Pictures\photo.JPG

Last edited:
Jathor said:
[ IMG ]https://C:\Users\Candice\Pictures\photo.JPG[ /IMG ]

You can't put up images this way. If the picture is small enough, under the editing window, under "Additional Options," click "Manage Attachments."

Yay I get to use some of my obscure math knowledge!

In the early days of trigonometry there were lots of different trig functions (Instead of the 3 main and 3 inverse functions we have now). Amongst these now-obsolete functions was a function ##crd(\theta)## (meaning chord).

##crd(\theta)## was defined as $$2sin(\frac{\theta}{2})$$
If r is the radius of your circle, the distance from the point at the top to any other point on the circle is ##rcrd(\theta)## where ##\theta## is the angle between the point at the top and the point you want to know the distance to as measured from the center of the circle. This angle can be related to the angle from the tangent line by simple geometry.

I hope this helps!

thanks Vorde, that helped a lot (: sorry i couldn't get the picture working but you got it.

Vorde said:
Yay I get to use some of my obscure math knowledge!

In the early days of trigonometry there were lots of different trig functions (Instead of the 3 main and 3 inverse functions we have now). Amongst these now-obsolete functions was a function ##crd(\theta)## (meaning chord).

##crd(\theta)## was defined as $$2sin(\frac{\theta}{2})$$
If r is the radius of your circle, the distance from the point at the top to any other point on the circle is ##rcrd(\theta)## where ##\theta## is the angle between the point at the top and the point you want to know the distance to as measured from the center of the circle. This angle can be related to the angle from the tangent line by simple geometry.

I hope this helps!

Some latex notes: it helps to distinguish functions from variables by making the names of functions non-italicized. For sine there is a built in function: \sin (there are similar ones for tangent, cosine, ln, etc). For non-standard functions, such as crd, you can use the \mbox command, e.g., \mbox{crd}.

This will render it as

[tex]\mbox{crd}\theta.[/tex]

I point this out because when you wrote "[itex]rcrd(\theta)[/itex]", I was momentarily confused, thinking that you were using a modified chord function there. [itex]r\mbox{crd}\theta[/itex] is immediately clear. ;) (Also, I am not using parentheses because the non-italicized names of functions makes it clear what's the function and what's the argument, at least in this case of just one argument).

That's awesome help!

I'm trying to teach myself as much latex as possible for ease of writing (I've been typing [itex][/ite... for 5 months until last week I figured out the #.# thing), thanks for the tip!

Mute said:
[tex]\mbox{crd}\theta.[/tex]

Even better would be to insert spaces. A slash followed by a comma, colon, or semicolon will give you a space, depending on the width. So instead of
[itex]rcrd(\theta)[/itex].
one could write
[itex]r\,\mbox{crd}\,\theta[/itex]. :wink:

FAQ: Geometry question with the perimeter of a circle

1. What is the formula for the perimeter of a circle?

The formula for the perimeter of a circle is P = 2πr, where P represents the perimeter and r represents the radius of the circle.

2. How do you find the perimeter of a circle if only the diameter is given?

To find the perimeter of a circle with only the diameter given, you can use the formula P = πd, where P represents the perimeter and d represents the diameter. This is because the diameter is equal to twice the radius (d = 2r), so you can substitute 2r for d in the formula P = 2πr.

3. Can the perimeter of a circle be negative?

No, the perimeter of a circle cannot be negative. Perimeter is a measurement of distance and distance cannot be negative. If you get a negative value when calculating the perimeter of a circle, then you have made an error in your calculations.

4. How does the perimeter of a circle change if the radius is doubled?

If the radius of a circle is doubled, the perimeter will also double. This is because the formula for perimeter (P = 2πr) includes the radius, so changing the radius will directly affect the perimeter.

5. Can the perimeter of a circle be greater than the circumference?

No, the perimeter of a circle cannot be greater than the circumference. The perimeter is the total distance around the circle, while the circumference is the distance around the circle at its widest point. Since the perimeter includes the circumference, it cannot be greater than the circumference itself.