Get Calculus Project Help for Optimization Problem | Can Shape | Problem 3

In summary, the conversation is about an optimization problem regarding the shape of a can. The speaker has attempted to solve the problem by differentiating a function and setting it equal to zero. They are confused about how all the variables, including volume and height, are present in the minimized expression. The other speaker clarifies that volume is a constant and can be replaced with other variables. The first speaker is still unsure about how to incorporate the height variable back into the equation.
gtcox
My class is doing an optimization problem, The shape of a can. I have attached a copy of the problem.

I have done problems 1 and 2 and now am stuck on problem 3.
What I've tried so far is to differentiate the function 4sqrt3 r^2 +2Pi rh +k(4Pir +h) with respect to r where h=v/Pir^2. I know that to optimize the function I have to set the derivative equal to zero and solve to find min/max but I have to show that when the expression is minimized it is equal to the third root of volume over the constant k. What baffles me is that all the variables V, h and r are in the minimized expression. How did that happen?

Attachments

• calc project 2.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
Is V a variable? It looks to me like this problem is asking for the most efficient dimensions for a can of a fixed volume- that is V is a constant. And since you also know that [itex]h= V/\pi r^2[/itex], you can replace h by that and have only r as a variable.

That's what I tried, but when you substitute for h and differentiate the result is in V, r and k. When the expression is minimized it is in terms of V,r,k,and h. I just don't know how all the h got back into the equation along with V. If i set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for V, then replace V with Pi(r^2)(h), the V dissapears. If i don't solve for V then I don't know how to get the h back into the equation. Am I making any sense?

FAQ: Get Calculus Project Help for Optimization Problem | Can Shape | Problem 3

1. What is Calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

2. What are some common topics covered in a Calculus project?

Common topics in a Calculus project include derivatives, integrals, limits, optimization, and applications of calculus in real-world scenarios.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus to complete my project?

To improve your understanding of Calculus, it is important to review the fundamental concepts and practice solving problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend study groups to clarify any difficult topics.

4. How do I choose a suitable Calculus project topic?

When choosing a Calculus project topic, consider your interests and how it relates to real-world applications. You can also consult with your instructor or classmates for suggestions and ideas.

5. What resources are available for help with my Calculus project?

There are many resources available for help with your Calculus project, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also consult with your instructor or a tutor for additional support and guidance.

Back