Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2: Perfect Fluid/Einstein's Dust

In summary, the components of the energy momentum tensor that correspond to mass flux and/or momentum density are T^01, T^02, and T^03. If you want to get standard units of flux, you would just multiply by c^2.
dsaun777
TL;DR Summary
Just clarification on components.
The T^0i the components of the energy momentum tensor that correspond to mass flux and/or momentum density. If I wanted to get standard units of flux I would just multiply by c^2 correct? It is the ith component of momentum across the kth surface? I am thinking of an example in particular that relates to either a perfect fluid or Einstein's "dust".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Starting from the formalism of T^ij for the case,
[tex]T^{ij}=\rho u^iu^j[/tex]
, here I omit pressure for simple writing, all the components has dimension same as ##\rho##, energy per volume. If you want to give normal dimension to some components as momentum per volume or mass, i.e. energy/c^2, flux, how about dividing them by c?

mitochan said:
Hi.
Starting from the formalism of T^ij for the case,
[tex]T^{ij}=\rho u^iu^j[/tex]
, here I omit pressure for simple writing, all the components has dimension same as ##\rho##, energy per volume. If you want to give normal dimension to some components as momentum per volume or mass, i.e. energy/c^2, flux, how about dividing them by c?
I want to Express flux across a surface on terms of the components of the tensor, how would I do this?

In order to get energy flux whose dimension is energy / area・time from corresponding T^ij components that I have set as energy/volume in my previous post, how about multiplying c ?

Not all the components but T^01,T^02 and T^03 which corresponds to energy flux. Other components correspond to energy density, momentum density and 3D stress tensor.

Just the T^0i components alone without multiplying by c factor give you momentum flux right

I'm not sure what you want to achieve since your equation gives the energy-momentum tensor of freely moving particles, where ##\rho## is the density of invariant mass (defined in the usual way as mass per spatial volume in the (local) rest frame of the particles).

It depends a bit on your conventions, concerning the factors of ##c^2##. It's not uniquely defined in the literature, what's meant by ##u^{\mu}##. In some textbooks one defines the four-velocity as having the dimension of a velocity ("length per time"). Then it's normalized as ##u_{\mu} u^{\mu}=c^2##. In other books one uses the (usually more convenient) definition ##\tilde{u}^{\mu}=u^{\mu}/c##, because then you can use it to project to local restframes simply without writing all the factors of ##c## since, of course, in this convention you have ##\tilde{u}_{\mu} \tilde{u}^{\mu}=1##.

Now let's write
$$T^{\mu \nu} = \rho_0(x) u^{\mu}(x) u^{\nu}(x).$$
In terms of the usual three-velocity ##\vec{v}## you have
$$u^{\mu}=\gamma \begin{pmatrix} c \\ \vec{v} \end{pmatrix}.$$
Now the time-time component is seen to be
$$T^{00}=\rho_0 \gamma^2 c^2$$
This is the energy density component in this reference frame, i.e.,
$$\epsilon=\rho_0 \gamma^2.$$
Then the space-time components are
$$T^{j0}=\rho_0 \gamma^2 c v^j=\epsilon/c v^j.$$
This is the energy current density, and thus
$$g^{j}=T^{j0}/c=\epsilon/c^2 v^j$$
the momentum current density.

Likes mitochan and dsaun777

Related to Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2: Perfect Fluid/Einstein's Dust

1. What is "Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2"?

"Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2" is a mathematical formula used in the field of physics, specifically in the study of perfect fluids and Einstein's dust. It is used to convert fluxes, which are measures of the flow of a physical quantity, into standard units by multiplying them by the speed of light squared (c^2).

2. What is a perfect fluid?

A perfect fluid is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a fluid with no viscosity or internal friction. This means that it flows without any resistance and can be described using the equations of fluid dynamics. Perfect fluids are often used in models of the universe and in the study of black holes.

3. What is Einstein's dust?

Einstein's dust is another theoretical concept in physics that describes a fluid-like substance made up of very small particles that have no interaction with each other except through gravity. This allows for the particles to behave like a fluid, but without any internal pressure. Einstein's dust is often used in models of the universe to study the effects of gravity.

4. How is "Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2" used in physics?

"Get Standard Units Flux Multiply c^2" is used in physics to convert fluxes into standard units, which makes it easier to compare and analyze data. It is commonly used in the study of perfect fluids and Einstein's dust, but can also be used in other areas of physics where fluxes are measured.

5. Why is the speed of light squared (c^2) used in this formula?

The speed of light squared (c^2) is used in this formula because it is a fundamental constant in physics that relates energy and mass, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. By multiplying fluxes by c^2, we are essentially converting them into units of energy, which allows for easier comparison and analysis in the study of perfect fluids and Einstein's dust.