Get transfer function from block diagram

In summary, you are asking for help in finding the transfer function between an input and output. You are also asking for help in simplifying a diagram.
JPGraphX
Hello guys!

1 & 2:
I would like to get some help to take everything in A and find transfer function at B and C.

I can't find these answer...

transferfunction.png

I know how to go from b) to c) .. we only multiply by E(s) and B(s). But I can't find b) at first.

Thanks so much!
JPGraphX

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any more detail you can assist with this? For example, where is Vm located? Where is ΩM?

Your F(s) expression seems incomplete.

I think omega m is wm.

Here is mechanical drawing from where my block diagram came. Sorry it is in french.

a) should link motor electric supply Vm to speed of shaft in rotation. (Wm)

Thanks!
JP

IMG_20141015_210540.jpg

If after couple of days you still have no help with this, I suggest that you attach a translation of the description associated with it.

You checked F(s) as I suggested?

F(s) is ok. Here is why (this is a list of all the parameter): La = 0.0H

parameter.png

• Why this table, everything that can help find a solution is here.

Here is a translation:

We want to know position x(t) of mass m with the help of a DC moteur and a gear system. All system elements are shown on picture 2.

a) With the use of block diagram (first picture I posted) and parameters (in my last picture), find transfer function of every system elements. Consider initial condition to zero.

b) Simplify the block diagram found in (a) to obtain the transfer function between the power supply of the motor and the speed of rotation of its shaft.

c) From the transfer functions found in (b), find one that connects the motor electric supply to the displacement of the mass x (t). Determine the order of the system.

JPGraphX said:
Here is a translation:

We want to know position x(t) of mass m with the help of a DC moteur and a gear system. All system elements are shown on picture 2.

a) With the use of block diagram (first picture I posted) and parameters (in my last picture), find transfer function of every system elements. Consider initial condition to zero.

b) Simplify the block diagram found in (a) to obtain the transfer function between the power supply of the motor and the speed of rotation of its shaft.

c) From the transfer functions found in (b), find one that connects the motor electric supply to the displacement of the mass x (t). Determine the order of the system.
Where are you stuck? Show your work.

Well I know how to get transfer function when I got Input and Output. (I only simplify my diagram). But I don't know how to get my transfer function when it is not between input and output. (There's no output..)

Like this:
F31D56A06EE05E84BD365CFE626E2968_02_01.gif

I'll try to simplify my block diagram tonight. Right now, I'm at work.

JPGraphX said:
Well I know how to get transfer function when I got Input and Output. (I only simplify my diagram). But I don't know how to get my transfer function when it is not between input and output. (There's no output..)

Like this:
F31D56A06EE05E84BD365CFE626E2968_02_01.gif
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In (b), for instance, you're asked to find the transfer function ##\frac{\omega_M(s)}{v_M(s)}##, i.e. ##v_M(s)## is the input and ##\omega_M(s)## is the output.

In other words, you have to simplify the diagram so you have:
##v_M \rightarrow##some transfer function##\rightarrow \omega_M##

I don't know where to split my diagram to get wm as an output. What are the transfer function useless, etc.

JPGraphX said:
I don't know where to split my diagram to get wm as an output. What are the transfer function useless, etc.
What does it mean, in a diagram, for a signal to be an output? How can you tell that ##\omega_M## isn't an output in the first diagram you posted?

In my idea an output is like my last picture y(Z), when there is nothing after it.

JPGraphX said:
In my idea an output is like my last picture y(Z), when there is nothing after it.
That depends on your point of view. Would it help if you drew an arrow out from ##\omega_M## in your first diagram? There's nothing more to the right of that either.

Yeah you're right.. I'll try tonight!

If you take the view that ##\omega_M## is the output, then it's helpful to realize that there's then just a simple feedback loop around H(s), which you can simplify using the rules for blocks in series, parallel and negative feedback.

JPGraphX said:
Hello guys!

1 & 2:
I would like to get some help to take everything in A and find transfer function at B and C.

I can't find these answer...

transferfunction.png

I know how to go from b) to c) .. we only multiply by E(s) and B(s). But I can't find b) at first.

Thanks so much!
JPGraphX

Just use algrebra!
My guess, you are trying to use formulas, just derive the equation yourself.

Lets start by defining Wm.
Wm=H(s)*(Ia*G(s)-Tm)
Ia=(Vm-Vb)*F(s)
etc...

Related to Get transfer function from block diagram

1. How do I get a transfer function from a block diagram?

To get a transfer function from a block diagram, you need to first identify the input and output variables. Then, use the block diagram rules to simplify the diagram and obtain an overall transfer function. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations and applying basic rules of block diagram reduction.

2. Can I use block diagrams to represent complex systems?

Yes, block diagrams can be used to represent complex systems. By breaking down a complex system into smaller blocks, it becomes easier to analyze and understand the system. Block diagrams are commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and electrical circuits.

3. Is it necessary to have all the components of a system in a block diagram to obtain the transfer function?

No, it is not necessary to have all the components of a system in a block diagram to obtain the transfer function. The transfer function can be obtained by considering the input and output variables and using the block diagram reduction rules to simplify the diagram.

4. Can I use block diagrams for nonlinear systems?

Yes, block diagrams can be used for both linear and nonlinear systems. However, the analysis of nonlinear systems using block diagrams may require more complex techniques, such as linearization or simulation methods.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the obtained transfer function from a block diagram?

The best way to verify the accuracy of the obtained transfer function is to compare it with a known transfer function of the same system. This can be done through experimental data or by using simulation software. If the two transfer functions match, it confirms the accuracy of the obtained transfer function from the block diagram.