Getting a Kilt Made for Scottish Wedding

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: The Scottish have tartans by family name; and the Irish have it by county of origin. Traditional style kilts (for men) will require about 8-9 yards of fabric, and the prices can range from $10-12 per yard. There are a few other tartan mills online that are more expensive, but if you're looking for high-quality fabric, Geoffrey Kilts may be a better option.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Got a Scottish wedding coming up. Think I may go in a kilt of my (Irish) family's tartan.

Recommendations of where/how to get one made?

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome choice!

Kilts are becoming very popular here in the Seattle area. I've seen them for sale in Celtic-themed stores...do you have those where you are?

Gotta warn you though - they're pretty expensive. Think $100 to $200. No idea why.

lisab said:
Awesome choice!

Kilts are becoming very popular here in the Seattle area. I've seen them for sale in Celtic-themed stores...do you have those where you are?

Gotta warn you though - they're pretty expensive. Think $100 to $200. No idea why.

We have Celtic-themed stores, but I want one made in my family's tartan.

I'm thinkin' $200 is on the low end.

Well that's cool.

From what I understand though: Scots have tartans by family name; and the Irish have it by county of origin.

You might just choose a color scheme of your own.

DaveC426913 said:
We have Celtic-themed stores, but I want one made in my family's tartan.

I'm thinkin' $200 is on the low end.

I sew. I looked up kilt-making online, and it seems a man's kilt (in traditional style) takes about 8-9 yards of fabric. Most "decent" wool fabric here in the states runs at least $10-12 per yard (when you find it on sale), often more... and that's not counting special weaves.

check out http://www.geoffreykilts.co.uk/gentskilts.html" from a wool mill in Edinburgh. Granted the mill is on the touristy "royal mile" -- but it gives you an idea of kilt prices in general, and you can follow a link to the left to find their fabric prices. I think you could go with the shorter width (which would stick you around $30-40 per yard). I visited Scotland a LONG time ago (fall of 2000?)... and did purchase some fabric from both local shops and around Glasgow (tartan selection was hit and miss) and this one (where selection was much better, and I only got stuff that was "on sale" -- i.e. short cuts with <8 yrds remaining on the bolt). And I was only looking for tartans I liked; not a specific family one (since my family is not Scottish at all).

Honestly, I found a few other tartan mills online that were MORE expensive (try $50-70 per yard). The tourist business and "rental kilt" business they do in and around Edinburgh might keep their costs DOWN; and they don't seem to really push the high quality "Harris tweed" fabric.

And I agree... if you're doing it for a Scottish family wedding, you'll want to do it right, or not at all. (Glad I dropped the Scottish boyfriend before he wanted me to make him a kilt. :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A little research corroborates the idea that Irish tartans are by county, not by family. And since Cork is pretty common, I might be able to get one off the shelf rather than having it custom-made.

FAQ: Getting a Kilt Made for Scottish Wedding

1. How long does it take to get a kilt made for a Scottish wedding?

The time it takes to make a kilt for a Scottish wedding can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the availability of materials. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks, so it's important to plan ahead and order your kilt well in advance.

2. Do I need to provide my own tartan fabric for the kilt?

Typically, kilt makers will have a variety of tartan fabrics to choose from. However, if you have a specific tartan pattern in mind, it's best to check with the kilt maker beforehand to ensure they have it available. You can also purchase your own fabric and provide it to the kilt maker.

3. How do I ensure the kilt fits properly?

The best way to ensure a proper fit for your kilt is to get measured by a professional kilt maker. They will take precise measurements and can make any necessary adjustments to ensure a comfortable and accurate fit. It's important to also communicate your desired fit and any specific preferences to the kilt maker.

4. Can I customize the design of my kilt?

Yes, many kilt makers offer customization options for their kilts. This can include choosing a specific tartan pattern, adding decorative details, or even incorporating a family crest or logo. Just be sure to discuss your customization ideas with the kilt maker beforehand.

5. Do I need to wear anything under my kilt?

Traditionally, nothing is worn under a kilt, but it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Some may choose to wear undergarments for comfort or modesty. If you do decide to wear something under your kilt, make sure it is not visible and does not affect the fit or appearance.