Getting a picture of the whole of physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in understanding the development of physics and mathematics throughout history and how different theories and concepts have evolved over time. They express a desire to see the bigger picture and understand the reasoning behind specific formulas and problems. They also mention a helpful timeline on Wikipedia and recommend researching individual physicists and their contributions. Finally, they suggest the book "A Cultural History of Physics" as a comprehensive resource on the history of physics.
PHY2000
This is a difficult task but it's my reason for studying physics. I'm a physics undergrad.
I want , really badly، to get a picture of the development of the whole of physics and math up to this point. From the earliest thinkers who tried to put the world of experience into mathematical concepts, what is the earliest form of mathematics and how it gradually developed and branched so many different forms and what was the reason for each one.

Same with physics, what problems occupied Galileo and Newton, what assumptions they had to make, and how they developed their theories. So starting from very early I want to get a picture of how gradually Newton's mechanics, electromagnetism, relativity and quantum mechanics developed and most importantly how they built on the weaknesses of previous theories or expanded on them.

I know this is huge. But any advice on books or lectures that could help me with this is deeply appreciated. I went into physics to understand realty. And in my undergraduate years I have been given formulas and problems to solve without any background for why they are this way and what led to their development and their connections, it's like I have been inside the building of phyphys working the details Now I want get a look at the building from the outside.

I'm sorry if this is a bit vague. But this endeavor, for a lack of a better word is very important for me.
Thank you for the taking the time to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello there!
I found this timeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_fundamental_physics_discoveries

on wikipedia and I think it gives a good picture. After that I suggest searching on the internet for each one of the names for an even better idea.
Apart from that I would suggest a book about the history of physics and maybe of the physicist himself in order to follow their way of thinking.

One of the best books of this kind, where you literally get a picture about the history of all of physics is

K. Simonyi, A Cultural History of Physics

with a good text and tons of original material.

Related to Getting a picture of the whole of physics

1. What is the "whole" of physics?

The "whole" of physics refers to the complete understanding and description of all physical phenomena in the universe, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest structures in the cosmos.

2. How do scientists approach the goal of getting a picture of the whole of physics?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, mathematical equations, and experimental data to develop a comprehensive understanding of the laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

3. Is it possible to fully understand all of physics?

While scientists have made significant progress in understanding the fundamental principles of physics, it is unlikely that we will ever have a complete and final understanding of the entire universe. New discoveries and advancements in technology will continue to expand our knowledge and understanding of physics.

4. How does studying the whole of physics benefit society?

The study of physics has led to countless technological advancements and innovations that have greatly improved our quality of life. Understanding the laws of physics also allows us to make predictions and solve practical problems in fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

5. What are some of the challenges scientists face in trying to get a picture of the whole of physics?

One of the main challenges is the vastness and complexity of the universe. It can be difficult to collect data from distant objects or simulate complex systems in a laboratory. Additionally, some aspects of physics, such as quantum mechanics, are still not fully understood and require further research.