Getting a polarization without polaroid and loss of intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an Optics exam involving polarizing linearly polarized light to get a specific E field direction. Two methods are proposed - one with a loss of intensity and one without any loss of intensity or the use of any polaroid. The proposed solutions involve using a linear polarizer or applying Brewster's angle formula with an optically active material, but the effectiveness of the solutions is uncertain. The person is seeking advice and help to solve the problem.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I was stuck on a question today in my Optics exam (I didn't have time to think well about it but I'm still stuck).
The problem was more or less like this: There's an incident linearly polarized light in the direction of [tex]\hat x[/tex]; we want to polarize it so that we get [tex]\hat E = \hat x \cos 30+ \hat y \sin 30[/tex].
1)Give a method to get such a polarization, with a loss of intensity.
2)Give a method to get such a polarization, without any loss of intensity nor the use of any polaroid.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)A linear polarizer in the direction of [tex]\hat E[/tex].
2)Assuming that the E field of the incident light lies in a normal plane to the plane of incidence, I can apply Brewster's angle formula if I consider that the light pass through an optically active material. So that there's no reflection over the surface (hence no loss of intensity of the light). If I consider the width of the material to be finite, I could rotate the E field to get the desired direction. However I think there would be some internal reflection inside the material and I've no other idea on how I could solve the problem.
Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Related to Getting a polarization without polaroid and loss of intensity

1. What is polarization and why is it important?

Polarization refers to the orientation of light waves in a specific direction. It is important because it allows us to control the direction and intensity of light, which has many applications in science and technology.

2. How can I get polarization without using a polaroid filter?

One method is to use a birefringent material, such as a calcite crystal, which splits unpolarized light into two polarized beams. Another method is to use a polarizing beam splitter, which uses the principle of interference to separate polarized light.

3. What causes loss of intensity when polarizing light?

Polarization filters only allow light waves with a specific orientation to pass through, blocking all others. This results in a loss of intensity because some of the light is being absorbed or reflected by the filter rather than passing through.

4. Can light be polarized in more than one direction at the same time?

Yes, light can be polarized in multiple directions simultaneously. This is called circular polarization, where the electric field of the light rotates in a circular motion as it propagates.

5. How is polarization used in everyday life?

Polarization is used in many everyday objects, such as sunglasses, LCD screens, and 3D glasses. It is also used in various scientific techniques, such as polarized microscopy and spectroscopy, to study the properties of materials.