Getting Back on Track with Physics Help

Hi @NotAThrowaway021422,
I hope you are doing well and continuing to pursue your dream. I have read this post with interest and surprise.

As someone who has ADHD and was given the most outrageous list of comments and advice as a child - by so-called experts no less-, I would like to take the time to let you know that YES, your passion DOES matter. Pursuing anything else can greatly damage your future. Don't let the advice of outsiders sidetrack you. To us, passion is both, the Southern cross and the North Star.

You mentioned that you have other responsibilities that limit your time to study ever day. Firstly, well done! being young and having responsibilities that limit your study-time and yet obtain good grades is most definitely a great quality, and at your age is even more admirable. Secondly, studying online can in time become your advantage, you are already accustomed of the challenges of studying without the advantage of group discussions.

Physics, exactly like any other subject you intend to master at high levels, will require commitment, what doesn't? In my experience the so-called professionals made awful assumptions about my mind, without much respect to the fact that they were addressing a minor no less. According to them, I would have only succeeded in 'manual' professions, and that I was somewhat 'limited and had daydreamed too much'. I 'did not test well', and all the assumptions were based on such tests. Sadly, they ignorantly overlooked all the other signs that were there.

But the reality is that in the face of all of the above, I speak four languages, have multiple degrees, and continue to study today. ADHD can be a great advantage in different ways, and in time you yourself will be able to detect the aspect of learning that can intrigue your mind and let you focus. I believe that taking the year off to decide and continue to study will positively pay you back, resulting in greater achievements than if you had succumbed to the pressure of the general attitude in the field of physics and began this year. Be ready though, you'll have to deal with many arrogant and presumptuous individuals who very often look down at everyone else, and who more often than not, all look the same and even have the same sad haircut! (I don't know why, but looking like a robot in STEM has recently become a 'requirement').

And beware of thieves, the academia is filled with little parasites who lack imagination and will do anything to steal others' ideas in order to publish or advance their own careers. And physics is NO different than any other STEM field. In the long run, you'll realise you truly have
an advantage.

Sincerely,
A.N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PhDeezNutz and symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
I just finished reread post #1 and the @Ari48 #36.

You worried about being accepted to an undergraduate program in Physics or related to Physics? As long as grades are good enough and if major-pickings for Physics are low enough, you may expect to be allowed admission into undergraduate Physics program, if major field you want IS Physics. Why say, because not so many sci. students choose Physics, so the Physics departments would like more students to choose Physics. Really they do.

I'm trying to think what to say about taking examinations, and the need for LABORATORY exercises which may be missing when you self-pace study while not actually enrolled in a real class.

I have no idea about A.D.H.D. What is this like? Other than "medications", would sleep, nutrition, or exercise have any influence?

Likes PhDeezNutz
In response @Ari48 's post. My post wasn't meant to deter the OP but rather to protect him/her so that the passion could be honed to a useful end. And I think that's what most posts in this thread were also intended for.

I myself have ADHD so i can sympathize.

Likes berkeman and symbolipoint
@NotAThrowaway021422 I'm not a mental health professional BUT your chosen username concerns me, it seems to indicate a negative self image where your entire self worth is based on achievement (in this case Physics achievement). This is not healthy.

PhDeezNutz said:
@NotAThrowaway021422 I'm not a mental health professional BUT your chosen username concerns me, it seems to indicate a negative self image where your entire self worth is based on achievement (in this case Physics achievement). This is not healthy.
Another meaning of the username "throwaway" can be that the username will not be used much in the future. So this person's username may mean (in a roundabout way) that they do plan on using it going forward for a while. We won't know which meaning the OP intends unless they let us know.

Likes symbolipoint