Getting Inside A Microcontroller

In summary: Is that still an option?There are other methods you could try, but they are not guaranteed to work. One option is to burn off the plastic with a small torch, but make sure the chip does not glow more than red hot. Another option is to use nail polish remover and vinegar, but this is not guaranteed to work either.
Lancelot59
I have a microcontroller here that's dead. I want to get inside it and look at the actual die. Last time I tried this I used a sander, and it scratched it quite badly. I know there is the industry method of dumping hot acid on the device, but I don't have the equipment to do that safely.

I don't really care about being able to use the device afterwards. Are there any other ways I can get inside the device?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can burn off the plastic with a small torch but make sure the chip does not glow more than red hot.

After that, rinse it alternating between nail polish remover and vinegar. Repeat and burn/rinse again if necessary. I'm not promising success, but it beats using industrial acids.

Lancelot59,

Reverse Engineering an embedded uC is an art. You get no credit for failing to have the brushes. The only possible information you can gleen from a "dead" uC is the ROM or if you are much smarter than your post suggests (and clueless on what you are reverse engineering), the architecture of the uC (which, if as stated, you have done your homework on was known going in). So, what is your real question, LOL. BTW, you do not need "hot acid", you need hydrofluoric acid, the temperature simply determines the etch rate (assuming you have made it past the epoxy layer).

If you really want to explore reverse engineering this is NOT the proper forum ;-) But I am just an idiot! Throw some acetone at the die and wait for something to happen ;-)

Fish

Fish4Fun said:
Lancelot59,

Reverse Engineering an embedded uC is an art. You get no credit for failing to have the brushes. The only possible information you can gleen from a "dead" uC is the ROM or if you are much smarter than your post suggests (and clueless on what you are reverse engineering), the architecture of the uC (which, if as stated, you have done your homework on was known going in). So, what is your real question, LOL. BTW, you do not need "hot acid", you need hydrofluoric acid, the temperature simply determines the etch rate (assuming you have made it past the epoxy layer).

If you really want to explore reverse engineering this is NOT the proper forum ;-) But I am just an idiot! Throw some acetone at the die and wait for something to happen ;-)

Fish
I know I don't have the tools or knowledge for reverse engineering, that's not what I'm planning to do. I just want to get at the die and look at it. From what I heard the standard method was squirting hot sulphuric acid onto the device, so that's where I got "hot acid' from.

FAQ: Getting Inside A Microcontroller

1. What is a microcontroller and how does it work?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is used to control electronic devices. It contains a CPU, memory, and input/output peripherals. It works by executing instructions stored in its memory and interacting with other electronic components according to those instructions.

2. How do I get inside a microcontroller?

To get inside a microcontroller, you will need a programming tool such as a microcontroller programmer or debugger. This tool allows you to connect to the microcontroller and access its memory and registers, where you can read and write data and instructions.

3. What is the process for programming a microcontroller?

The process for programming a microcontroller involves writing code in a programming language such as C or assembly, compiling it into machine code, and then transferring the code to the microcontroller's memory using a programmer. The microcontroller will then execute the code and perform the desired functions.

4. Can I modify the code on a microcontroller?

Yes, you can modify the code on a microcontroller by using a programming tool to write new code to its memory. This allows you to update and improve the functionality of the microcontroller as needed.

5. What are some common uses for microcontrollers?

Microcontrollers are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as appliances, medical devices, cars, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in DIY projects and prototyping for their versatility and low cost.