Getting Nowhere with a Proof Question: Help Needed

• MHB
  • Thread starter Leanna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
Are you asking to prove the formula or make it true?In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a proof question involving a formula with negations and implications. They are looking for help in solving it and mention using De Morgan's law and the fact that $Q \land Q \land P \iff Q \land P$. The question is not explicitly stated, but it appears to be about proving or making the formula true.
Leanna
I'm stuck on this proof question:
(¬(Q⇒¬P) ∧ ¬((Q∧¬R)⇒¬P )) ⇔ ¬(R ∨ (P ⇒¬Q))

I've tried to get rid of the negation and implications but I keep going in circles and I'm getting nowhere near to the equivalence required. I would appreciative if anyone can help me solve this because it's really been doing my head in :/

Physics news on Phys.org
If you see question marks that's the negation

Hi Leanna,

I'm not sure what kind of proof structure is required, but you can obtain the results if you use the following:
$\lnot (Q \implies \lnot P) \iff (Q \land P)$, De Morgan's, and the fact that $Q \land Q \land P \iff Q \land P$.

Leanna said:
I'm stuck on this proof question:
(¬(Q⇒¬P) ∧ ¬((Q∧¬R)⇒¬P )) ⇔ ¬(R ∨ (P ⇒¬Q))
What exactly is the question? What you have written is a formula.

Related to Getting Nowhere with a Proof Question: Help Needed

1. How do I know if I am getting nowhere with a proof question?

If you have been working on a proof question for a significant amount of time and have not made any progress, it is likely that you are getting nowhere with it. This may also be indicated if you keep trying different approaches but none of them seem to work.

2. What should I do if I am getting nowhere with a proof question?

If you are stuck on a proof question, it is important to take a step back and approach it from a different angle. You can also try discussing it with a colleague or seeking guidance from a professor or tutor.

3. Are there any strategies I can use to help me make progress on a proof question?

Yes, there are several strategies you can use when working on a proof question. These include breaking the problem into smaller parts, drawing diagrams or illustrations, and considering special cases or examples.

4. How important is it to solve a proof question on my own?

Solving a proof question on your own is important as it helps you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, seeking help or collaborating with others is also a valuable learning experience.

5. Is it normal to struggle with proof questions?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with proof questions. These types of questions require a lot of logical thinking and may take time to fully understand and solve. Don't get discouraged and keep practicing, as it will ultimately improve your skills.