Giant slalom of particles in a plasma?

In summary, charged particles in a plasma can either strongly repel or attract each other, and even small charge imbalances can create large electric fields. The 'plasma approximation' is often used to simplify analysis by initially assuming equal electron and ion densities. Collisions in plasmas can vary, with very good plasmas having few large-angle collisions but many small angle collisions. Some resources for reading up on collisions in plasmas include lecture notes from MIT and the University of Texas.
Sven Andersson
The charged particles of a plasma are either strongly repelled or attracted to one another. Am I correct in saying that they do a "giant slalom" around one another? And does this mean that the transfer of momentum in a collision is much smaller than in a neutral gas where the atoms/molecules collide like billiard balls? Where can I read up on this?

S.A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean by doing a giant slolam around one another. But you are correct in that even small charge imbalances create large electric fields. If you go on to learn some plasma physics, you will learn the so-called 'plasma approximation' (not valid for high frequency/small scale phenomena) that exploits this fact to simplify the analysis by initially assuming the electron and ion densities are equal.

I am fairly ignorant of collisions in plasmas. Back when I was in that field I was mostly studying phenomena in the Earth's magnetosphere, where a typical mean free path is the order of an astronomical unit so collisions could be safely neglected. Very good plasmas tend to have few large-angle collisions but many small angle collisions. One place to start reading up on collisions is in the lecture notes at:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-engineering/22-611j-introduction-to-plasma-physics-i-fall-2003/
or
https://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/plasma/Plasma/
some notes on collsions are also in the lecture notes of
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-engineering/22-616-plasma-transport-theory-fall-2003/

jason

FAQ: Giant slalom of particles in a plasma?

1. What is a giant slalom of particles in a plasma?

A giant slalom of particles in a plasma refers to the movement of charged particles in a plasma under the influence of an external electric or magnetic field. The particles follow a curved path as they navigate through the plasma, similar to the way a skier navigates through gates in a giant slalom race.

2. How does the giant slalom of particles in a plasma affect plasma behavior?

The giant slalom of particles in a plasma can significantly impact the behavior of the plasma. The curved paths of the particles can lead to instabilities and turbulence, which can affect the overall stability and confinement of the plasma.

3. What factors influence the giant slalom of particles in a plasma?

The giant slalom of particles in a plasma is influenced by a variety of factors, including the strength and direction of the external electric or magnetic field, the density and temperature of the plasma, and the charge and mass of the particles themselves.

4. What applications does the study of giant slalom of particles in a plasma have?

The study of giant slalom of particles in a plasma has applications in various fields, including fusion energy research, astrophysics, and plasma processing technology. Understanding the behavior of charged particles in a plasma is crucial for developing advanced plasma technologies.

5. How is the giant slalom of particles in a plasma studied and observed?

The giant slalom of particles in a plasma is studied and observed through a combination of theoretical modeling and experimental techniques. Sophisticated computer simulations and diagnostic tools such as Langmuir probes and laser interferometers are used to analyze the behavior of plasma particles and their movement in response to external fields.

Back