Gibbs Free Energy, How to find G with only Hstand and Gstand

In summary, the Gibbs free energy change for the decomposition of Ag2O is negative. This could be due to problems with the decomposition question or the temperature used for standard conditions.
royblaze

Homework Statement

For the decomposition of Ag2O(s), what is the Gibbs free energy change at 500K (assuming delta H and delta S do not vary with temparature?

delta standard Gformation: -61.0 kJ/mol
delta standard Hformation: -29.7 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

deltaG = deltaH - T(deltaS)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not sure about how to do this. I had asked a TA how to do this question, he used the G = H - TS and solved for S, then fit it back in, but that doesn't DO anything other than prove his equation true... I looked it up on the internet, found some Gibbs HelmHoltz equation. But we've never learned that ANYWHERE: how am I supposed to solve this one WITHOUT the HelmHoltz equation?!

Physics news on Phys.org
royblaze said:
For the decomposition of Ag2O(s), what is the Gibbs free energy change at 500K (assuming delta H and delta S do not vary with temparature?

delta standard Gformation: -61.0 kJ/mol
delta standard Hformation: -29.7 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

deltaG = deltaH - T(deltaS)

You have delta G as a function of two constants and T...

So you need delta S, no?

How do you do it then? I'm still lost. I tried solving for delta S and fitting it back into find a new delta G, but I am not getting the right answer.

royblaze said:
So you need delta S, no?

How do you do it then? I'm still lost. I tried solving for delta S and fitting it back into find a new delta G, but I am not getting the right answer.

What value of [itex]\Delta S[/itex] did you get? Perhaps you're using the wrong temperature for standard conditions?

Okay so I have:

G = H - T*S

So for standard conditions, the T = 298.15K

-61 = -29.7 - T*S

S = (-61 + 29.7) / (-298.15) = .1049807144 KJ/mol-K

But S is in J/mol-k, so S = 104.9807144 J/mol-k

Then:

G = (-29.7) - (500)(104.9807144 J/mol-K)(1 kJ/1000J) = -82.1903572 kJ/mol

Is that right? The answer was +82.2 kJ/mol, though. Why is my answer negative?

You found the Gibbs free energy of formation. The problem asks about decomposition.

Ah, thank you so much. :biggrin:

Related to Gibbs Free Energy, How to find G with only Hstand and Gstand

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy?

Gibbs Free Energy (G) is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the potential energy of a system to do work. It takes into account both the enthalpy (H) and entropy (S) of a system and is a useful tool for predicting the spontaneity of a reaction.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy calculated?

Gibbs Free Energy can be calculated using the equation G = H - TS, where H is the enthalpy of the system, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and S is the entropy of the system.

3. Can Gibbs Free Energy be negative?

Yes, Gibbs Free Energy can be negative. A negative value indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. A positive value indicates that the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not proceed without the input of energy.

4. Can Gibbs Free Energy be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, Gibbs Free Energy can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If the value of G is negative, the reaction will proceed spontaneously in the forward direction. If the value of G is positive, the reaction will not proceed spontaneously without the input of energy. If the value of G is zero, the reaction is at equilibrium.

5. How can I find G with only Hstand and Gstand?

If you are given the standard enthalpy (Hstand) and standard Gibbs Free Energy (Gstand) of a reaction, you can use the equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS to calculate the change in Gibbs Free Energy for the reaction at a specific temperature. This value can then be used to determine the spontaneity and direction of the reaction.