Girl Throws Weights: Calculate Speed Relative to Ground

• Thread starter abbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, the girl standing on a wagon with two weights throws them horizontally at a speed of 6.5 m/s relative to herself. Using conservation of momentum and center of mass, the speed of the girl relative to the ground after throwing the weights is 3.25 m/s. The masses were initially moving at a speed of 6.5 m/s in opposite directions, but in the frame of reference of the observer, the masses were actually going twice the speed of the wagon/girl.
abbie
A 50.0-kg girl stands on a 10.0-kg wagon holding two 15.0-kg weights. She throws the weights horizontally off the back of the wagon at a speed of 6.5 m/s relative to herself . Assuming that the wagon was at rest initially, what is the speed of the girl relative to the ground after she throws both weights at the same time?

conservation of momentum

I can't seem to get this and I don't know why.. I used conservation of momentum and got a perfectly reasonable answer. I even used center of mass and got the same answer...

0 = -(15*2)*6.5 + (50+10)*V
V = 3.25
I tried both positive and negative and both are apparently wrong

with Center of Mass I get:
10 seconds after throw - weights travel 65 m, so-
(-65*30 + 60*X)/90 ----> 1950 = 60X
using the distance I get V = 3.25

So obviously I'm doing something wrong, and I don't care how stupid I feel finding out what it is cause this question is really bugging me..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of the masses is in the frame of reference of the girl/wagon. And they separate at 6.5m/s.

Now the mass thrown is half the mass of the girl/wagon. In the frame of reference of the observer (that is grading the question) that means that the masses |Vm| are going twice the speed of the wagon/girl |Vwg| but in opposite directions of course.

If in the frame of the wagon that speed of separation is 6.5 ...
... and 2*|Vwg| = |Vm| then ...

|Vm| = 2/3*(6.5)

And |Vwg| = 1/3*6.5

This preserves your momentum relationship and of course the center of mass of the system remaining in the same position

for your question. It looks like you are on the right track with using conservation of momentum to solve this problem. The equation you used is correct, but it looks like there may be a mistake in your calculation. When solving for the velocity of the girl after the weights are thrown, you should be dividing by the total mass of the system (50 kg + 10 kg = 60 kg), not just the mass of the girl (50 kg). This should give you a final velocity of 3.25 m/s, which matches your answer using the center of mass method.

One thing to keep in mind when using conservation of momentum is that the initial and final momenta must be calculated relative to the same reference frame. In this case, the initial momentum is calculated relative to the girl, while the final momentum is calculated relative to the ground. This is why we divide by the total mass of the system to get the final velocity relative to the ground.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion and you can feel more confident in your solution to this problem. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

Related to Girl Throws Weights: Calculate Speed Relative to Ground

1. How do you calculate the speed of the girl throwing weights relative to the ground?

To calculate the speed of the girl throwing weights relative to the ground, you need to know the mass of the weights, the distance they were thrown, and the time it took for them to reach the ground. Once you have this information, you can use the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the speed.

2. Why is it important to calculate the speed relative to the ground?

Calculating the speed relative to the ground allows us to understand the velocity and direction of the weights in relation to their surroundings. This information can help us analyze the force and trajectory of the throw and make predictions about future throws.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the girl throwing weights?

The speed of the girl throwing weights can be affected by various factors such as the weight and shape of the weights, the strength and technique of the girl, and external forces such as air resistance and wind. The surface and slope of the ground can also impact the speed of the throw.

4. How does the speed of the girl throwing weights affect the distance the weights will travel?

The speed of the girl throwing weights has a direct impact on the distance they will travel. The faster the weights are thrown, the further they will travel. Other factors such as air resistance and the angle of the throw can also affect the distance the weights will travel.

5. Is it possible for the girl to throw weights faster than the speed of sound?

No, it is not possible for the girl to throw weights faster than the speed of sound. The speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second, which is an extremely high speed that is difficult to achieve through human force. Additionally, the resistance of the air would make it nearly impossible for the weights to reach such a high speed.