Given a general probability, determining the probability in a set

In summary, the probability of exactly 6 out of 14 silicon chips being not defective is 0.038 or 3.8%. This is calculated using the binomial distribution formula, taking into account the probability of a chip being not defective (0.39) and the total number of chips (14).
peterwilc

Homework Statement

The probability of a silicon chip to be defect is .61 at the final production line.
What is the probability that exactly 6 of the 14 chips are NOT defect?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(A)=.61
P(A')=.39 (since we are going to be looking for the probability that we won't have a defective chip)

Now the probability that 6 of those 14 won't be defective is ?

If there is a 39% chance of success for the total 14 chips, how do I relate that to only 6 of them?Help me visualize this since I am utterly horrible at statistics

<b>EDIT: Just found out this is a Binomial Distribution problem and found the answer by plugging and chugging the values into the formula</b>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try use combination

14C6

Related to Given a general probability, determining the probability in a set

What is the general formula for determining probability in a set?

The general formula for determining probability in a set is: Probability = Number of desired outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

How do I determine the number of desired outcomes in a given set?

To determine the number of desired outcomes, you must first define what constitutes as a desired outcome. Then, you can count the number of outcomes that meet that definition in the given set.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely, while experimental probability is based on actual results from an experiment or real-life situation.

Can the probability in a set be greater than 1?

No, the probability in a set cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 represents certainty, while a probability of 0 represents impossibility.

How does the number of elements in a set affect the probability?

The number of elements in a set can affect the probability by changing the total number of possible outcomes. The larger the set, the more possible outcomes there are, and therefore, the lower the probability of a specific outcome.