Given properties of nucleus, find its atomic number, mass, and element symbol.

In summary: A is the atomic mass number.The unknown nucleus has twice the volume of the nickel nucleus, so its volume is 8.54111078X10^-43. Plugging this into the volume equation and solving for r, we get r = 5.8858 X 10^-15 m. Then, plugging this radius into the original radius equation and solving for A, we get A = 118, indicating that the unknown nucleus has an atomic mass number of 118. This corresponds to the element Ununoctium (Uuo) on the periodic table. In summary, using the equations for radius and volume, we can determine that the unknown nucleus with
einsteinoid

Homework Statement

An unknown nucleus contains 71 neutrons and has twice the volume of the nickel http://www.webassign.net/www32/symImages/f/1/3dca243bf11d1adbce4ca198d1973f.gif nucleus. Identify the unknown nucleus.

Homework Equations

r = (1.2X10^-15)(A^(1/3))
V= (4/3)(pi)(r)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged 59 into the radius equation and got "4.6715957X10^-15 m"
I then plugged that r value into the volume equation which yielded "4.270555X10^-43"

Since the unknown nucleus is twice the volume of the Ni nucleus, I doubled that volume (getting 8.54111078X10^-43), plugged it into the volume equation to solve for r and got "5.8858 X 10^-15".

Then I plugged that into the original radius equation to solve for A. I keep getting "14.71" which doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah i figured it out, nvm.

When I got to the --4.904836 = Cuberoot(A)-- I was supposed to cube the left side of the equation (yeilding 118 as the atomic mass number) but I was tripling it.

Duh!

:-)

An unknown nucleus contains 71 neutrons
So for the first nucleus r = (1.2X10^-15)[(71 + Z)^(1/3)] where Z is the number of protons.
Instead of finding radius you can wrote V = k*r = k*A

FAQ: Given properties of nucleus, find its atomic number, mass, and element symbol.

What is the atomic number of an element?

The atomic number of an element is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. It is denoted by the symbol Z and determines the identity of an element.

What is the mass number of an atom?

The mass number of an atom is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom. It is denoted by the symbol A and is used to identify different isotopes of an element.

How do you calculate the number of neutrons in an atom?

The number of neutrons in an atom can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number (Z) from the mass number (A). This is because the mass number represents the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom, and the atomic number represents the number of protons.

What is the element symbol?

The element symbol is a one or two letter abbreviation used to represent an element. It is based on the name of the element, typically in English or Latin, and is used to identify and refer to different elements in the periodic table.

How do you determine the element from given properties of the nucleus?

The element of an atom can be determined by its atomic number (Z). Each element has a unique atomic number, and the position of an element in the periodic table is based on its atomic number. Therefore, by knowing the atomic number, we can determine the element symbol and identity of an atom.

Back