Given that log 2 3 = 1.585, find without using tables the

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary: You're given a value for \displaystyle \ \ \log_2(3)\,,\ \ and from that, you're asked to find \displaystyle \ \ \log_2\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\ .Use properties of logarithms to do that.Then you are confused. Might want to check the textbook again. The answer came out as 0.7925-1=-0.2075. 0.7925-1 is already expressed as a positive fractional part 0.7925, the mantissa, plus an integer part -1, the character. The whole mantissa/character thing is a bit of a throw
lionely
Given that log2 3 = 1.585, find without using tables the

Given that log2 3 = 1.585, find without using tables the value oflog2 ( sin ∏/3)

I wrote this

log2 (0.866) but was not getting the answer in the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

lionely said:
Given that log2 3 = 1.585, find without using tables the value of

log2 ( sin ∏/3)

You really have to make some attempt or your thread will be deleted. What's sin(pi/3)?

I'm sorry I forgot to type my attempt! Sin of pi/3 is it not 0.866?

lionely said:
I'm sorry I forgot to type my attempt! Sin of pi/3 is it not 0.866?

Yes, it is approximately. But that doesn't help. Do you know an exact expression for it? That maybe might contain a 3?

Hm.. can I convert it to degrees? and make it like 60 degrees?

lionely said:
Hm.. can I convert it to degrees? and make it like 60 degrees?

Yes, 60 degrees=pi/3. It's related to the sides of a 30-60-90 triangle.

hm... I'm not getting it .. I'm supposed to do something involving a triangle? Do something with sin∏/6, sin ∏/3, sin∏/2?

lionely said:
hm... I'm not getting it .. I'm supposed to do something involving a triangle? Do something with sin∏/6, sin ∏/3, sin∏/2?

If you don't remember an exact expression for sin(pi/3)=sin(60 degrees) could you try and look it up? Maybe try "30-60-90 triangle"? This really about logs, not trig functions. You don't have to derive it.

Hm.. I see something about.. ratios of the side of the triangles 1 : 2 : root 3

that's all

lionely said:
Hm.. I see something about.. ratios of the side of the triangles 1 : 2 : root 3

that's all

Ok, since it's not a trig problem, I'll tell you sin(pi/3) is opposite side/hypotenuse. That's sqrt(3)/2 in the ratios you are looking at. Now can you do the log part?

Oh yes I believe so. log 1/2 3- 1

I got 1.17925 , this it written with postive mantissa

lionely said:
Oh yes I believe so. log 1/2 3- 1
I have no idea what that means.

lionely said:
I got 1.17925 , this it written with postive mantissa
You had already got, before, that this is approximately log(.8660) which is no where near 1.17925. In fact, because .8660 is less than 1, its log must be negative. But the whole point of this exercise is to use the laws of logarithms to write the exact value, not a decimal approximation that you could have gotten on a calculator.

Dick has already told you that [itex]sin(\pi/3)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. Use the laws of logariths to reduce [itex]log(\sqrt{3}/2)= log(3^{1/2}/2)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:

Dick has already told you that [itex]sin(\pi/3)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex]. Use the laws of logariths to reduce [itex]log(\sqrt{3}/2)= log(3^{1/2}/2)[/itex].
Don't forget that the logarithm you're given and the one asked for are base 2.

You're given a value for [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \log_2(3)\,,\ \ [/itex] and from that, you're asked to find [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \log_2\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\ .[/itex]

Use properties of logarithms to do that.

lol I'm sooooo sorry I typed it horribly wrong in my last post. I was tired.

I meant to type this log(3√/2)=log(3 1/2/2)= 1/2log3 - log2

I got -0.2075
then with positive mantissa 1.17925

lionely said:
lol I'm sooooo sorry I typed it horribly wrong in my last post. I was tired.

I meant to type this log(3√/2)=log(3 1/2/2)= 1/2log3 - log2

I got -0.2075
then with positive mantissa 1.17925

I'll agree with -0.2075. I'm not sure what you are on about with the 'positive mantissa'. The log is 0.7925-1. Isn't 0.7925 the mantissa?

ehh well... I'm too sure about the mantissa thing, my teacher didn't teach me that. I just looked in the textbook and the question said express the answer with positive mantissa.

and I think that .17925 is the postive mantissa and 1 is the character?

lionely said:
ehh well... I'm too sure about the mantissa thing, my teacher didn't teach me that. I just looked in the textbook and the question said express the answer with positive mantissa.

and I think that .17925 is the postive mantissa and 1 is the character?

Then you are confused. Might want to check the textbook again. The answer came out as 0.7925-1=-0.2075. 0.7925-1 is already expressed as a positive fractional part 0.7925, the mantissa, plus an integer part -1, the character. The whole mantissa/character thing is a bit of a throwback to days before computers when people used to look up logarithms in books full of tables. Your teacher is probably right to skip it.

Related to Given that log 2 3 = 1.585, find without using tables the

1. How do you find the value of log 3 base 2 without using tables?

To find the value of log 3 base 2 without using tables, you can use the property of logarithms that states log base a of b is equal to the logarithm of b divided by the logarithm of a. In this case, we can write log 3 base 2 as log 3 divided by log 2. Then, using the given value of log 2 3 = 1.585, we can substitute this into our equation to get log 3 base 2 = 1.585 / log 2 = 1.585 / 0.301 = 5.263.

2. Can you explain the concept of logarithms and their uses?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that represent the exponent or power to which a base number must be raised in order to get a given number. They are useful for solving exponential equations and for converting between different number systems, such as converting between exponential and linear scales. Logarithms are also used in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in calculating earthquake magnitudes, sound levels, and pH levels.

3. How can you verify the value of log 2 3 using a calculator?

You can verify the value of log 2 3 using a calculator by first taking the log of 3 and then dividing it by the log of 2. For example, using a scientific calculator, you would enter "log 3" and press enter, then divide the result by "log 2" and press enter again. The final result should be approximately 5.263, which is the same as the value we found without using tables.

4. Is it possible to find the value of log 3 base 2 using other methods besides using logarithm properties?

Yes, it is possible to find the value of log 3 base 2 using other methods such as using the change of base formula or using a graphing calculator. The change of base formula states that log base a of b is equal to the logarithm of b divided by the logarithm of a. So in this case, we can write log 3 base 2 as log 3 divided by log 2, which can then be solved using a calculator.

5. In what situations would you need to find the value of log 3 base 2 without using tables?

You may need to find the value of log 3 base 2 without using tables in situations where you do not have access to a logarithm table or a calculator, or if the value you are looking for is not listed in a table. Additionally, being able to solve logarithmic equations without using tables can be useful in developing a better understanding of logarithms and their properties.