Given the planar curve, find the equation of the plane

In summary: I guess that's what it is? If it's not, could you let me know what I did wrong? Sorry, I'm really new to this topic.Also, how do I find the normal vector?Homework Statement r(t) = < 2e^t - 5 , e^t +3t^2 , 4t^2 +1> Is a curve that lies within a plane. Find the equation of this plane.The Attempt at a SolutionI am not sure if my approach is correct. These are my results: x=2e^t - 5 y = e^t +3t^2 z = 4t^2 + 1
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

[itex] r(t) = < 2e^t - 5 , e^t +3t^2 , 4t^2 +1> [/itex]
Is a curve that lies within a plane. Find the equation of this plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if my approach is correct. These are my results:
[itex] x=2e^t - 5 [/itex]
[itex] y = e^t +3t^2[/itex]
[itex] z = 4t^2 + 1[/itex]

[itex] z = 4t^2 + 1 ~~\Rightarrow~~ t = \sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}}[/itex]

[itex] x = 2e^\sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}} - 5 ~~\Rightarrow~~ \frac{x+5}{2} =e^\sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}} [/itex]
[itex] y = e^\sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}} + \frac{3z-3}{4} [/itex]

[itex] y = \frac{x+5}{2} + \frac{3z-3}{4} [/itex]
[itex]= \frac{x}{2} + \frac{5}{2} + \frac{3z}{4} - \frac{3}{4}[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{2}x - y + \frac{3}{4}z = -\frac{15}{8}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
One way of specifying a plane is as [itex]\{ \lambda \mathbf{a} + \mu\mathbf{b} + \mathbf{c} : (\lambda , \mu) \in \mathbb{R}^2\}[/itex] for given vectors [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] where [itex]\mathbf{a}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{b}[/itex] are linearly independent. Then for non-constant functions [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] we have that [tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = f(t)\mathbf{a} + g(t)\mathbf{b} + \mathbf{c}[/tex] is a curve which lies on this plane.

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

Easier: we have ##2y- x = 6 t^2 + 5##, which has eliminated the ##e^t## terms. Now to eliminate the ##t^2## terms, just add or subtract a suitable multiple of ##z##. That will leave you with a constant, having no ##t## in it anywhere.

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

[itex] x = 2e^\sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}} - 5 ~~\Rightarrow~~ \frac{x+5}{2} =e^\sqrt{\frac{z-1}{4}} [/itex]

"I am not sure if my approach is correct."
You can (and really should) check your final equation. To do this choose three t values in your equation for r(t). That will give you three vectors, the endpoints of which lie in the plane. These three points should satisfy the plane equation you ended with. If all three points work, then you can be 99% sure that your work is correct. (Subtracting a tiny amount for arithmetic errors you might make). If the three points don't satisfy the plane equation, that's a sign that you have done something wrong.

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

I didn't check all your work, but look at your last 3 lines. You start out with ##y =## and end up with [itex]= \frac{1}{2}x - y + \frac{3}{4}z = -\frac{15}{8}[/itex].

Does ##y=## that or is your final equation supposed to be [itex]\frac{1}{2}x - y + \frac{3}{4}z = -\frac{15}{8}[/itex]? If that is your answer then notice that ##\vec r(0) = \langle -3,1,1\rangle##, so that point must be on the plane. It doesn't seem to satisfy that last equation. It may be a simple arithmetic mistake.

But one reason I didn't check your work is that I don't think eliminating the parameter is a sensible way to do the problem. I would suggest a different approach. All you need for a plane is a point and a normal vector. It's easy to get a point on the plane. Then notice that given the curve is planar, that means the tangent vectors to the curve must be in the plane. So you could calculate ##\vec r'(0)\times \vec r'(1)## to get a normal.

Thank you all for your replies. I tried plugging in t=0,1,2 into each parameter, and plugged it into the equation for the plane. For all three points, I get: -1.75. -15/8 = -1.875.
LCKurtz said:
I didn't check all your work, but look at your last 3 lines. You start out with ##y =## and end up with [itex]= \frac{1}{2}x - y + \frac{3}{4}z = -\frac{15}{8}[/itex].

Does ##y=## that or is your final equation supposed to be [itex]\frac{1}{2}x - y + \frac{3}{4}z = -\frac{15}{8}[/itex]? If that is your answer then notice that ##\vec r(0) = \langle -3,1,1\rangle##, so that point must be on the plane. It doesn't seem to satisfy that last equation. It may be a simple arithmetic mistake.

But one reason I didn't check your work is that I don't think eliminating the parameter is a sensible way to do the problem. I would suggest a different approach. All you need for a plane is a point and a normal vector. It's easy to get a point on the plane. Then notice that given the curve is planar, that means the tangent vectors to the curve must be in the plane. So you could calculate ##\vec r'(0)\times \vec r'(1)## to get a normal.

Thank you all for you're replies, I tried checking my values and got close to -15/8, but I don't like the error, since I think my arithmetic is right. Also, my original thinking was exactly as LCKurtz said. However I ran into issues, but I think that is because I did it wrong. I used:
[itex] T = \frac{r'(t)}{|r'(t)|} [/itex]
T x r(t)
But it didn't seem to work. So what you're saying is I just need to take find two random tangent points along the curve, which will give me two random vectors on the plane it is within, and cross them which will yield an orthogonal vector (n), and then just form the equation from it?

Thanks everyone, I did get the equation finally, using r'(0) x r'(1) = <8,-16,12> and got the equation:
8x - 16y +12z +28 = 0
I verified it by plugging in points, and it works out. One last question before I go...
Why didn't my attempt at using T, the unit tangent vector work? I mean it is still a vector that is in the direction of the curve, and thus on the plane, right?

dlacombe13 said:
Thanks everyone, I did get the equation finally, using r'(0) x r'(1) = <8,-16,12> and got the equation:
8x - 16y +12z +28 = 0
I verified it by plugging in points, and it works out. One last question before I go...
Why didn't my attempt at using T, the unit tangent vector work? I mean it is still a vector that is in the direction of the curve, and thus on the plane, right?

Yes, it should have worked. But dividing by the magnitude is unnecessary, adds square roots, and makes the calculations more error prone, which apparently got you.

Related to Given the planar curve, find the equation of the plane

1. What is a planar curve?

A planar curve is a curve that exists in a two-dimensional plane, meaning it lies completely on a flat surface and does not extend into a third dimension.

2. What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the x, y, and z coordinates of points that lie on the plane. It is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are constants and x, y, and z are variables.

3. How do you find the equation of a plane from a given planar curve?

To find the equation of a plane from a given planar curve, you will need to have at least three points that lie on the curve. You can then use these points to create a system of equations and solve for the constants A, B, C, and D in the general equation of a plane.

4. What is the importance of finding the equation of a plane from a given planar curve?

Finding the equation of a plane from a given planar curve is important because it allows us to determine the relationship between the points on the curve and the points that lie on the plane. This information can be useful in applications such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

5. Are there different methods for finding the equation of a plane from a given planar curve?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the equation of a plane from a given planar curve, such as using the distance formula, cross products, or vector equations. The method used may depend on the specific information given about the planar curve and the desired form of the equation.