Given the plane curve, find tangent vector

In summary: Your answer for B(t) is wrong.In summary, the problem involves finding \hat{T}(t), \hat{B}(t), and \hat{N}(t) for the plane curve \overrightarrow{r(t)}=e^tcost(t)\hat{i}+e^tsin(t)\hat{j} at t = \pi/2. The solution for \hat{T}(t) is -e^\frac{\pi}{2}\hat{i}+e^\frac{\pi}{2}\hat{j}, while the solutions for \hat{B}(t) and \hat{N}(t) are both 0. However, there are errors in the solution for \hat{N}(t
mdawg467

Homework Statement

Consider the plane curve [tex] \overrightarrow{r(t)}=e^tcost(t)\hat{i}+e^tsin(t) \hat{j}[/tex]
Find the following when t= ∏/2
[tex] Part A: \hat{T}(t)[/tex]
[tex] Part B: \hat{B}(t)[/tex]
[tex] Part C: \hat{N}(t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \hat{N}(t)=\frac{\hat{T}(t)}{||\hat{T}(t)||}[/tex]
[tex] \hat{T}(t)=\frac{\overrightarrow{r'(t)}}{|| \overrightarrow{r'(t)}||}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{B(t)}=\frac{\overrightarrow{r'(t)\times r''(t) }}{||\overrightarrow{r'(t)\times r''(t)}||}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A
[tex]\overrightarrow{r(t)}=e^tcost(t)\hat{i}+e^tsin(t) \hat{j} [/tex]

[tex] \overrightarrow{r'(t)}=e^t[(cos(t)-sin(t))\hat{i} \:+\:(sin(t)+cos(t))\hat{j}] [/tex]

[tex] \overrightarrow{r'(\frac{\pi }{2})}=e^\frac{\pi }{2}[(cos(\frac{\pi }{2})-sin(\frac{\pi }{2}))\hat{i} \:+\:(sin(\frac{\pi }{2})+cos(\frac{\pi }{2}))\hat{j}] [/tex]

[tex] \overrightarrow{r'(\frac{\pi }{2})}=-e^\frac{\pi }{2}\hat{i}\;+\;e^\frac{\pi }{2}\hat{j} [/tex]

[tex]\hat{T}(t) =\frac{-e^\frac{\pi }{2}\hat{i}\;+\;e^\frac{\pi }{2}\hat{j}}{ \sqrt{(-e^\frac{\pi }{2})^2\;+\;(e^\frac{\pi }{2})^2} }[/tex]

Based off of Part A, plugging the numbers into Part B and C generate:
[tex]\hat{B(t)}=\frac{\overrightarrow{r'(t)\times r''(t) }}{||\overrightarrow{r'(t)\times r''(t)}||}=0[/tex]
[tex] \hat{N}(t)=\frac{\hat{T}(t)}{||\hat{T}(t)||}=0[/tex]

Not sure if I solved this correctly.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You got T(t) right. That's about all you've really shown. Your formula for N(t) isn't even right. It's supposed to have a derivative in it.

Related to Given the plane curve, find tangent vector

1. What is a plane curve?

A plane curve is a geometric figure that lies in a two-dimensional plane and is defined by a set of points that follow a certain mathematical equation or parametric function.

2. What is a tangent vector?

A tangent vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. How do you find the tangent vector of a plane curve?

To find the tangent vector of a plane curve, you can use the derivative of the curve's equation or parametric function at the given point. This will give you the slope of the curve at that point, which can then be used to find the tangent vector.

4. What information can the tangent vector provide?

The tangent vector can provide information about the direction and rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to determine if the curve is increasing or decreasing at that point.

5. Can the tangent vector be used to find the equation of the tangent line?

Yes, the tangent vector can be used to find the equation of the tangent line. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the magnitude of the tangent vector, and the point of tangency can be used to find the y-intercept of the tangent line.