Glad I could help! Good luck with your studies.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence relations and how to show that a given relation is an equivalence relation. It also touches on the use of functions to define equivalence relations. The specific example of a relation on the set S = {0, 1, ..., 99} is used to demonstrate the steps for showing reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity in order to prove an equivalence relation. The conversation ends with a question about how many elements are in a specific equivalence class and what they all have in common.
the rambler
Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker! I can't make any sense out of equivalence relations:confused: These kinda questions crop up every year on the exam and I was wondering if someone could help me understand the concept behind them.

(i)Show that relation R defined on the of the
set S = {0, 1, . . . , 99} as R = {(a, b) € S × S : a − b is a multiple of 25} is an
equivalence relation.
I understand that to show something is an equivalence relation you need to show that they are reflexive, symmetric and transistive but I've no idea how to apply that to a question like this?

(ii) How many elements does the R-equivalence class of
a = 73 have?

Would this be 4? As in 73 itself, 73-25= 48, 73-50=23 and 73+25= 98

(i) Show that relation ~ defi ned on the set X = N x N = {(a, b) : a € N; b € N} as
(a,b)  (c,d) if and only if a + d = c + b
is an equivalence relation. (ii) Write down three elements of the equivalence class of
(12, 7). What do they all have in common?

[€ = an element of]

No clue at all hereExcuse my very humble attempts at answering the questions (Blush) Any help at all would be very much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
the rambler said:
Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker! I can't make any sense out of equivalence relations:confused: These kinda questions crop up every year on the exam and I was wondering if someone could help me understand the concept behind them.

(i)Show that relation R defined on the of the
set S = {0, 1, . . . , 99} as R = {(a, b) € S × S : a − b is a multiple of 25} is an
equivalence relation.
I understand that to show something is an equivalence relation you need to show that they are reflexive, symmetric and transistive but I've no idea how to apply that to a question like this?

(ii) How many elements does the R-equivalence class of
a = 73 have?

Would this be 4? As in 73 itself, 73-25= 48, 73-50=23 and 73+25= 98

(i) Show that relation ~ defi ned on the set X = N x N = {(a, b) : a € N; b € N} as
(a,b)  (c,d) if and only if a + d = c + b
is an equivalence relation. (ii) Write down three elements of the equivalence class of
(12, 7). What do they all have in common?

[€ = an element of]

No clue at all hereExcuse my very humble attempts at answering the questions (Blush) Any help at all would be very much appreciated :)

$a$ is related to $b$ if $a-b$ is a multiple of 25. $a$ is related to $a$ since 0 is a multiple of 25. The relation is symmetric since $a-b$ is a multiple of 25 implies $b-a$ is a multiple of 25. You do transitivity.

For ii) You need to find the set of $b$ in S such that $73-b$ is a multiple of 25.Clearly the set of suitable $b$ is {23, 48,73,98}

You should now have a better idea how to answer the remaining questions

Fermat said:
$a$ is related to $b$ if $a-b$ is a multiple of 25.

It seems so simple but this is the bit I couldn't grasp! The notation completely threw me off.. Thanks so much :D

There are a couple of different ways to express an equivalence relation on a set $S$, both are used, although one often sees this form:

$a \sim b$ as meaning: "$a$ is related to $b$" (also called "infix symbol notation").

In accordance with this, the equivalence class of $a$, written $[a]$ (usually), is the set:

$\{x \in S: a \sim x\}$.

However, a relation $R$ on $S$, (of which equivalence relations are "special kinds") is just a subset of $S \times S$. So one also sees the notation:

$(a,b) \in R$

instead of $a \sim b$. They mean the same thing.

Here is another way to look at your problem:

For any function $f:A \to B$, we can define $a \sim a'$ (these are two elements of $A$) if $f(a) = f(a')$. It would be well worth your while to prove this indeed does define an equivalence relation on $A$. This is called the equivalence relation induced by the function $f$.

So...what would our function be, in this case?

Well, given any natural number $n$, we can write:

$n = 25q_n + r_n$ for a pair of UNIQUE natural numbers $q_n,r_n$ ($q_n$ is called the QUOTIENT, and $r_n$ the REMAINDER).

Convince yourself that this means we have a function:

$f:\Bbb N \to \{0,1,2,\dots,24\}$ given by:

$f(n) = r_n$.

This is still a function if we restrict our domain to $S = \{0,1,2,\dots,99\} \subseteq \Bbb N$

Finally, can you see that we have: $a \sim b$ (that is: $a - b = 25k$ for some integer $k$) if and only if $r_a = r_b$?

Deveno said:
There are a couple of different ways to express an equivalence relation on a set $S$, both are used, although one often sees this form:

$a \sim b$ as meaning: "$a$ is related to $b$" (also called "infix symbol notation").

In accordance with this, the equivalence class of $a$, written $[a]$ (usually), is the set:

$\{x \in S: a \sim x\}$.

However, a relation $R$ on $S$, (of which equivalence relations are "special kinds") is just a subset of $S \times S$. So one also sees the notation:

$(a,b) \in R$

instead of $a \sim b$. They mean the same thing.

Here is another way to look at your problem:

For any function $f:A \to B$, we can define $a \sim a'$ (these are two elements of $A$) if $f(a) = f(a')$. It would be well worth your while to prove this indeed does define an equivalence relation on $A$. This is called the equivalence relation induced by the function $f$.

So...what would our function be, in this case?

Well, given any natural number $n$, we can write:

$n = 25q_n + r_n$ for a pair of UNIQUE natural numbers $q_n,r_n$ ($q_n$ is called the QUOTIENT, and $r_n$ the REMAINDER).

Convince yourself that this means we have a function:

$f:\Bbb N \to \{0,1,2,\dots,24\}$ given by:

$f(n) = r_n$.

This is still a function if we restrict our domain to $S = \{0,1,2,\dots,99\} \subseteq \Bbb N$

Finally, can you see that we have: $a \sim b$ (that is: $a - b = 25k$ for some integer $k$) if and only if $r_a = r_b$?
This makes a lot more sense now! Thank you :)

Related to Glad I could help! Good luck with your studies.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements in a set. It states that the two elements are considered "equivalent" if they share certain properties or characteristics. These properties include reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

2. How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you must check if it satisfies the three properties mentioned above: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If it meets all three requirements, then the relation is considered an equivalence relation.

3. What is the importance of equivalence relations?

Equivalence relations are important in mathematics because they allow us to classify and group objects based on shared properties. They also help us understand the relationships between different elements in a set and can be used to simplify complex problems.

4. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some common examples of equivalence relations include "equality" between numbers, "congruence" between geometric figures, and "similarity" between shapes. Other examples include "equivalence classes" in set theory and "equivalence relations" in probability theory.

5. How are equivalence relations used in real-life situations?

Equivalence relations are used in various real-life situations, including data clustering, image recognition, and pattern recognition. They are also used in fields such as computer science, linguistics, and sociology to group and classify data, ideas, and concepts.