Glad to hear that the answer is correct! You are welcome, happy to help.

• MHB
  • Thread starter shyjuu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the given formula, |f(x0)f''(x0)|<|f'(x0)|^2, is the convergence criterion for the following methods: Newton-Raphson method, Iteration method, Secant method, and False position method. This formula is not directly given anywhere, but can be derived by remembering the Newton-Raphson iterations. The correct answer is (a) Newton-Raphson method.
shyjuu
|f(x0)f''(x0)|<|f'(x0)|^2 where I is the interval containing the approximate root x0, is the convergence criterion of ...

(a) Newton - Raphson method
(b) Iteration method
(c) Secant method
(d) False position method

According to me its (a), but I confused because this formula is not directly given anywhere I had searched a lot on the internet, can anybody confirm what is the correct answer

Thanks a lot in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ssss said:
|f(x0)f''(x0)|<|f'(x0)|^2 where I is the interval containing the approximate root x0, is the convergence criterion of ...

(a) Newton - Raphson method
(b) Iteration method
(c) Secant method
(d) False position method

According to me its (a), but I confused because this formula is not directly given anywhere I had searched a lot on the internet, can anybody confirm what is the correct answer

Thanks a lot in advance

Wellcome on MHB $SS^{2}$!...

... remembering the Newton iterations...

$$x_{n+1}= x_{n} - \frac{f(x_{n})}{f^{\ '} (x_{n})}\ (1) $$

... if is... $$\frac{|f(x_{0})\ f^{\ '}(x_{0})|}{|f^{\ '\ 2}(x_{0})|}= \frac{|f(x_{0})|}{|f^{\ '}(x_{0}|}= a < 1\ (2)$$

... and that holds for any $x_{0}$. then the sequence of $x_{n}$ obeys to the difference equation... $$ x_{n+1} - x_{n}= (\pm a)^{n}\ (3)$$... and it converges... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Wellcome on MHB $SS^{2}$!...

... remembering the Newton iterations...

$$x_{n+1}= x_{n} - \frac{f(x_{n})}{f^{\ '} (x_{n})}\ (1) $$

... if is... $$\frac{|f(x_{0})\ f^{\ '}(x_{0})|}{|f^{\ '\ 2}(x_{0})|}= \frac{|f(x_{0})|}{|f^{\ '}(x_{0}|}= a < 1\ (2)$$

... and that holds for any $x_{0}$. then the sequence of $x_{n}$ obeys to the difference equation... $$ x_{n+1}= \pm a\ x_{n}\ (3)$$... and it converges... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

so I was right answer is Newton Rapshon option a, Thanks a lot for explanation

FAQ: Glad to hear that the answer is correct! You are welcome, happy to help.

What is the convergence criterion in scientific research?

The convergence criterion in scientific research refers to the point at which experimental data or results have reached a sufficient level of consistency and stability. It is used to determine when a hypothesis or theory can be considered supported by evidence.

How is the convergence criterion determined?

The convergence criterion is determined by analyzing the data or results from multiple experiments or trials. It typically involves statistical analysis to determine if there is a significant difference between the results and if the results are consistent and reproducible.

Why is the convergence criterion important in scientific research?

The convergence criterion is important because it helps scientists determine if their findings are reliable and can be used to support a hypothesis or theory. It also ensures that the conclusions drawn from the research are based on solid evidence and not just chance results.

What factors can affect the convergence criterion?

The convergence criterion can be affected by various factors, such as the sample size, experimental design, and measurement accuracy. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as funding, bias, and the complexity of the research topic.

What are some common methods used to assess the convergence criterion?

Some common methods used to assess the convergence criterion include statistical tests, such as t-tests and ANOVA, and graphical analysis, such as plotting data points and trend lines. Other methods may also include peer review and replication of experiments by other scientists.