Glancing Collision with 2 Equal Masses

• Thread starter tmastrud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation is about two objects of equal mass colliding with each other. The first object has an initial velocity of 20.0m/s and the second object has an initial velocity of -10.0m/s. After the collision, the first object moves off at an angle of 2.00˚ above the positive x-direction and the second object moves off at an angle of 5.00˚ below the negative x-direction. The questions asked are: what is the speed of each object after the collision, what is the change in kinetic energy, and if the collision is elastic or inelastic.
tmastrud
Hey, I'm stuck on this problem. If someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

: Two objects of the same mass, m = 1.00 kg, are projected towards each other. The first object initially has velocity (20.0m/s)i^. The second object has initial velocity (-10.0m/s)i^ .After the glancing collision, the first object goes off with angle 2.00˚ above the positive x-direction and the second object goes off with angle 5.00˚ below the negative x-direction.

a. What is the speed of object 1 after the collision?
b. What is the speed of object 2 after the collision?
c. What is the change in kinetic energy in the collision?
d. Is this collision elastic or inelastic? Explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

This appears to be a homework or homework-type question and should be posted in the homework subforum. Doing so will ensure you get the appropriate help from our outstanding staff of homework helpers. (instead of wikipedia surfing armchair scientists like myself)

Thanks!

Related to Glancing Collision with 2 Equal Masses

What is a glancing collision with 2 equal masses?

A glancing collision with 2 equal masses is a type of collision between two objects of equal mass, where the objects collide at an angle rather than head-on.

What happens to the kinetic energy in a glancing collision with 2 equal masses?

In a glancing collision with 2 equal masses, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved. However, the direction and distribution of the kinetic energy may change as a result of the collision.

How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of a glancing collision with 2 equal masses?

The angle of collision can greatly affect the outcome of a glancing collision with 2 equal masses. A small angle may result in a more elastic collision, while a larger angle may cause the objects to stick together or deform.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic glancing collision with 2 equal masses?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy of the system is conserved and the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the objects may stick together or deform.

What factors can influence the outcome of a glancing collision with 2 equal masses?

The outcome of a glancing collision with 2 equal masses can be influenced by factors such as the angle of collision, the elasticity of the objects, and the surface and environment in which the collision occurs.