Glass, melting points, and Xmas gift idea

In summary, the conversation discusses options for putting a ring in a glass bottle, including heating the bottle and using a glass cutter. The person is also considering having their girlfriend heat the bottle as a fun way to retrieve the ring.
Bobvila
Hey,

I recently bought my gf a ring and would like to put it in a glass bottle and allow it to hang by a fish line with it corked on top.

I haven't found any wine bottles that allow the ring to just go in naturally, I have been having to heat all of them.

I was wondering if I were to stick something thicker n the bottle after it is heated if the glass would mold around that shape? Would it be easy to get out?

Also, I am thinking of just getting a glass cutter, are they hard/efficient to use?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm also thinking of letting her do the heating in order to get it out, if anybody knows a fun, or interesting way to heat it, let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to give your girlfriend a ring in a bottle - and a blowtorch, and tell her to go nuts??

Related to Glass, melting points, and Xmas gift idea

1. What is glass made of?

Glass is primarily made of sand, soda ash, and limestone. These materials are melted together at high temperatures to create a molten liquid that is then shaped and cooled to form glass.

2. What is the melting point of glass?

The melting point of glass varies depending on the type of glass, but on average it ranges from 1400-1600 degrees Fahrenheit. However, some specialty glasses can have melting points as high as 3000 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Can glass melt in a microwave?

No, glass cannot melt in a microwave because microwaves use non-ionizing radiation which does not produce enough heat to melt glass. However, if the glass contains metal or certain types of decorations, it can create sparks and potentially shatter.

4. How can I use melting points to choose a Christmas gift?

If you are looking for a Christmas gift for someone who loves chemistry or cooking, you could consider getting them a glass thermometer. This way, they can measure the melting point of different substances and learn more about their properties.

5. Are there any DIY gift ideas involving glass and melting points?

Yes, there are many DIY gift ideas that involve glass and melting points. For example, you could create your own stained glass ornaments by melting glass in a kiln and shaping it into different holiday designs. You could also make homemade candles by melting wax and pouring it into glass containers of your choice.