Glow in the Dark Lake in Australia: Swimming with Bioluminescence

• Thread starter Synetos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glow Lake
In summary, the glow in the dark phenomenon is created by a type of single-cell life that eats plankton and becomes more abundant when nitrogen and phosphorous from farm run-off increase. It is a sign of a harmful algal bloom.
Synetos
Glow in the dark lake in Australia

I came across this just yet and it looks amazing :O
So I wanted to share with you guys :P
article-1350686-0CEA7C63000005DC-213_964x636.jpg

Swimming is supposed to give you a healthy glow, but these swimmers weren't quite sure what was going on when they took a late-night dip and turned a fluorescent shade of blue.

'It was like we were playing with radioactive paint,' said photographer Phil Hart who snapped the bizarre sight as his friends emerged from a lake in the dark of night.

The light is created by a chemical reaction called bioluminescence, which happens when a naturally-occuring micro-organism in the water is disturbed.

Phil, 34, put his camera on a very slow shutter speed and threw sand and stones into the water to cause the reaction and capture as much of the blue haze as possible.

These images are particularly stunning because the concentration of the micro-organism 'Noctiluca Scintillans' was abnormally high when he took the photos at Gippsland Lakes in Victoria, Australia.
article-1350686-0CEA7A39000005DC-139_964x627.jpg

Phil said: 'To be there watching this bioluminescence is spellbinding and to see it like this is very rare.

'I am a program director with an organisation that has been running canoeing camps on the Gippsland Lakes for 50 years. Nobody can remember the bioluminescence ever being as bright as this.

It is believed the combination of bushfires and floods created the high levels of nutrients in the lakes for the organisms to feed.

'It may not happen again in my lifetime,' said Phil. 'I feel fortunate to have been there to see it and to have had my camera gear there to record it.'

Phil, from Melbourne, added: 'While the luminescence was obvious to the eye, the bright blue colour is only apparent in photos.

'When the first photo I took appeared on screen I could hardly believe it - the people in the water looked freakish.
article-1350686-0CEA7988000005DC-336_470x528.jpg

Source: http://www.parascientifica.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=84485

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lizabella
Biology news on Phys.org
Magnificent blue glow of Hong Kong seas also disturbing
http://news.yahoo.com/magnificent-blue-glow-hong-kong-seas-disturbing-212943493.html

The dark side of the blue glow.
The glow is an indicator of a harmful algal bloom created by something called Noctiluca scintillans, nicknamed Sea Sparkle.
Noctilua scintillans is potentially harmful to marine life.
Noctiluca is a type of single-cell life that eats plankton and is eaten by other species. The plankton and Noctiluca become more abundant when nitrogen and phosphorous from farm run-off increase.
. . .
But recent studies show it is much more complicated and links them to blooms that have been harmful to marine life. Noctiluca's role as both prey and predator can eventually magnify the accumulation of algae toxins in the food chain, according to oceanographer R. Eugene Turner at Louisiana State University.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Lizabella
Bio-luminescence is pretty awesome. I took a kayak ride in a bio bay in Puerto Rico a few years back

http://41.media.tumblr.com/d475f3bc326b3b634bf27cdf28216e63/tumblr_mxfqa4aapH1smsd90o2_500.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Suraj M and Lizabella

Related to Glow in the Dark Lake in Australia: Swimming with Bioluminescence

What is a "Glow in the Dark Lake"?

A "Glow in the Dark Lake" is a body of water that exhibits bioluminescence, which is the production and emission of light by living organisms. In this case, the lake contains a high concentration of bioluminescent plankton, which emit a blue-green light when they are disturbed.

Where is the "Glow in the Dark Lake" located?

The "Glow in the Dark Lake" is located in Gippsland, Victoria, Australia. Specifically, it is located in the Gippsland Lakes Coastal Park, near the town of Paynesville.

Why does the lake glow in the dark?

The lake glows in the dark due to the presence of bioluminescent plankton, specifically a species called Noctiluca scintillans. These plankton emit a blue-green light when they are disturbed, such as by waves or movement in the water. This serves as a defense mechanism against predators and also helps them attract mates.

Is it safe to swim in the "Glow in the Dark Lake"?

Yes, it is generally safe to swim in the "Glow in the Dark Lake." The bioluminescent plankton are not harmful to humans and the water quality is regularly monitored by authorities. However, it is important to be cautious and follow any safety guidelines provided by local authorities.

Can you see the glowing effect during the day?

No, the glowing effect is only visible at night when it is dark. During the day, the bioluminescent plankton are still present in the water, but they do not emit light unless they are disturbed. Therefore, the glowing effect can only be seen at night when there is movement in the water.