Gmsh is crashing after change Extrude value from 10 to 100

• Thread starter Motox1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
Motox1982
Hello,

here is my geo script of gmsh: (windows10 64bit)
Code:
Point(1) = {0,-35,20};
Point(2) = {0,-35,-10};
Line(1) = {1, 2};
Point(3) = {0,35,-10};
Line(2) = {2, 3};
Point(4) = {0,35,20};
Line(3) = {3, 4};
Line(4) = {4, 4};
Point(5) = {0,0,0};
Line(5) = {4, 5};
Line(6) = {5, 1};
Line(7) = {1, 1};
Line(8) = {1, 1};
Curve Loop(1) = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8};
Plane Surface(1) = {1};
Extrude {10, 0, 0} { Surface{1};  }
ReverseMesh Surface{1};
Mesh 2;
it works fine!

but if i change the line to: Extrude {100, 0, 0} { Surface{1}; }

(only changing value 10 to 100)

gmsh is crashing!
what is the problem, anyone any ideas?

regards, mario

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
omg, allready fixed!

Line(4) = {4, 4}; and some stuff, it was a long day ;-)

Welcome to PF. :smile:

Motox1982 said:
omg, allready fixed!

Line(4) = {4, 4}; and some stuff, it was a long day ;-)
Can you post your updated script so we can see what-all you changed to eliminate the errors? Was it just the definition of Line(4) that was the problem? And why did it work like that with the coarser mesh for Extrude?

Thanks.

The Problem was the Line wich have the same Point Numbers such as:
Line(4) = {4, 4};
Line(7) = {1, 1};
Line(8) = {1, 1};

It was auto generated by my tool wich uses gmsh, i though it was a gmsh error, but it was mine, everything works fine now!

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Still, the program should return an error instead of crashing. But man does it crashes quite often!

Related to Gmsh is crashing after change Extrude value from 10 to 100

Why is Gmsh crashing after changing the Extrude value from 10 to 100?

Changing the Extrude value from 10 to 100 may be causing Gmsh to crash due to memory issues. Increasing the Extrude value significantly can lead to the generation of a large number of elements, which may exceed the memory capacity of your system.

How can I prevent Gmsh from crashing when changing the Extrude value?

To prevent Gmsh from crashing when changing the Extrude value, you can try reducing the value incrementally and checking the memory usage of your system. Additionally, you can optimize your mesh settings and refine the mesh in specific regions to reduce the overall number of elements generated.

Is there a specific limit to the Extrude value that Gmsh can handle without crashing?

There is no specific limit to the Extrude value that Gmsh can handle without crashing as it depends on various factors such as the memory capacity of your system, the complexity of the geometry, and the mesh settings. It is recommended to monitor the memory usage and adjust the Extrude value accordingly to avoid crashes.

Are there any alternative methods to extrude geometry in Gmsh without causing crashes?

Yes, there are alternative methods to extrude geometry in Gmsh without causing crashes. You can try using different meshing algorithms, refining the mesh in specific regions, or breaking down the geometry into smaller parts before extruding. Experimenting with different mesh settings and techniques can help prevent crashes when extruding geometry.

Can Gmsh crashing after changing the Extrude value be related to software bugs?

Gmsh crashing after changing the Extrude value may be related to software bugs, especially if you are using an older version of the software. It is recommended to update Gmsh to the latest version and check for any reported issues or bug fixes related to extruding geometry. Additionally, you can reach out to the Gmsh community for assistance and troubleshooting tips.