GNURadio -- Beginner's questions

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I would like to experiment with GNURadio (https://www.gnuradio.org/) to process the audio that I can hear from online radio receivers (with web interfaces) like WebSDR and KiwiSDR. I have a couple of questions.

General question: I have installed GNURadio on my Raspberry Pi 5. Would it be fast enough to process audio frequency inputs in real time to decode digital modulation with bandwidths of 1 or 2 khz?

Specific Question: I want to pipe the output that I can hear on the receiver's web page, to an "Audio Source" block in GNURadio. I have tried following these instructions:
1) https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32213443/gnu-radio-use-sound-output-as-input-source
2) https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Examples#ALSA_monitor_source

I can now see "Monitor of Bluetooth Headphones" in the PulseAudio volume control, and I can see it listed as a monitor when I run pactl list. I have entered its name (which is bluez_output.A2_10_10_A1_3A_5F.1.monitor) into the "Name" field in the Audio Source Block. However, the block's output pin and the connection wire are shown in red (which I understand indicates an error). The "Run" button is greyed out.

How can I fix this problem with the Audio Source?

====== UPDATE ======

I just found that there is a red "x" button that opens an error window. The error was that I was trying to wire a "float" type source into a "complex" block. After inserting a float-to-complex converter, I can now run the flow. But I have a new issue:

Code:
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2666:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluez_output.A2_10_10_A1_3A_5F.1.monitor
audio_alsa_source :error: [bluez_output.A2_10_10_A1_3A_5F.1.monitor]: No such file or directory

==== UPDATE - 2 ====
Problem solved: You have to put in the monitor source's alias name that you create in asound.conf, as per the two links in my question. Silly me, I put in the internal system name rather than the alias of the monitor source.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to GNURadio -- Beginner's questions

What is GNURadio?

GNURadio is an open-source software toolkit that provides signal processing blocks to implement software-defined radios and signal processing systems.

How can I get started with GNURadio?

You can get started with GNURadio by downloading the software from the official website, installing it on your computer, and following tutorials and guides available online to learn how to use it.

What are some common applications of GNURadio?

Some common applications of GNURadio include building software-defined radios, implementing digital signal processing algorithms, and prototyping communication systems.

Do I need to have a background in signal processing to use GNURadio?

While having a background in signal processing can be helpful, it is not necessary to use GNURadio. There are resources and tutorials available for beginners to learn how to use the software effectively.

Can I contribute to the development of GNURadio?

Yes, GNURadio is an open-source project, and contributions from the community are welcome. You can contribute by reporting bugs, submitting patches, or developing new signal processing blocks for the software.