Goldstein Action-angle Variables

In summary, the author is working through Goldstein's book and has come across a remark about Action-angle Variables for Completely Separable Systems that is causing confusion. While the orbit equations for all pairs in phase space describe periodic forms, the author is having trouble understanding how individual q and p values might not be periodic functions of time. It is suggested that the trick is that the orbit equation simply relates q and p, and the particle motion may not necessarily trace this orbit in a simple motion. The author asks for a straightforward example where this occurs, as it seems to be built into the simple connections between q-dot and p. It is suggested to try a different book on Hamiltonian mechanics.
crossword.bob
I'm currently working (slowly) through Goldstein (et al), 3rd Edition, and a remark in the section on Action-angle Varibles for Completely Separable Systems (10.7) is giving me pause. We're told that the orbit equations for all ##(q_i, p_i)## pairs in phase space describe libration or periodic forms.

However, in the following paragraph, we are warned that this does not mean that each ##q_i## and ##p_i## will necessarily be periodic functions of time, and I am having some trouble imagining a situation where that might not be the case.

First of all, it is clear to me that even if they are each individually periodic, the overall particle motion need not be (if, say, periods are not co-rational), as he goes on to say. That bit's fine. It's the case where they would not be individually periodic that I'm unclear on.

Would I be correct in thinking that the trick here is that the orbit equation $$p_i = p_i(q_i; \alpha_1,\ldots, \alpha_n),$$ simply relates ##q_i## and ##p_i##, and that the actual particle motion (projected onto this coordinate plane), parameterised by ##t##, doesn't necessarily trace this orbit in a simple motion?

If this is the case, is there a (relatively) straightforward example where this happens? As far as I can tell, the usual suspects, (an)isotropic harmonic oscillators, Kepler, do have orbits that lead to individually periodic ##p_i## and ##q_i##; this seems to be built into the simple connections between ##\dot{q}_i## and ##p_i##. Does this break down for more generalised coordinates?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Goldstein Action-angle Variables

1. What are Goldstein action-angle variables?

Goldstein action-angle variables are a set of canonical coordinates used to describe the motion of a dynamical system. They consist of a set of action variables and a set of angle variables, which together provide a complete description of the system's state.

2. How are Goldstein action-angle variables different from other coordinate systems?

Unlike other coordinate systems, Goldstein action-angle variables are specifically designed to describe the motion of conservative systems, where energy is conserved. They also have the advantage of being integrable, meaning that the equations of motion can be easily solved using these variables.

3. What is the significance of action variables in Goldstein action-angle variables?

Action variables represent conserved quantities in a dynamical system, such as energy or momentum. They are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a system by studying its conserved quantities rather than its individual particles.

4. How do angle variables relate to the motion of a system?

Angle variables represent the phase of a system, describing how far along a periodic motion has progressed. They are important because they allow us to track the motion of a system over time, which is crucial for understanding its behavior.

5. Can Goldstein action-angle variables be used for all types of dynamical systems?

No, Goldstein action-angle variables are most useful for conservative systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. They may not be applicable to systems with chaotic or dissipative behavior.

Back