Good Algebra books for young physicit

In summary, this teenager from Algeria is looking for an algebra book that will help him in his physics journey. He recommends two books, one of which he has not been able to download for free. He likes the book but the teachers are not using it well. He also recommends an English textbook which will be different from the ones that are currently being used.
Physic lover
Hello everyone,
I am 17 years old now and my ambition for the future is to become a theoratical physicit .Many people including my family members told me it is very hard and need high level math and physics skills .
Thus,I have decided to improve my math skills at home and not only depend on the school to get my education because I noticed that it is not enough. I read some articals in the net about the steps to be a physicit and I found that the first step is to master math and the first broad part of math you need to study is Algebra ,I have search in the internet for good ALgebra books but appearantly they all look like books for those who have forgot a great deal of math (or maybe I didn't search well I won't lie) so I really need help to find algebra books that help me in my physics journey .
Thank in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
I would buy this one used for not too much money, it looks very comprehensive and not simplified:

Cynthia Young - College Algebra

I know you aren't in college but that shouldn't matter; this book will cover everything you need to know from algebra until you learn subjects like calculus or linear algebra.

What I particularly like (I'll edit this sentence) is that it reaches beyond the standard topics to include things from college math that follow on from what one typically learns in school, for example absolute value inequalities which may not receive much attention in school but are used in analysis. I see it also has review questions and a practice test.

The use of colour may be distracting but the topics are good.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
thank you but I need more help please your forum supposed to be the best

What country are you in? Do you like the two books recommended so far?

verty said:
What country are you in? Do you like the two books recommended so far?

I am from ALgeria .One of the books I could not download it for free and now I am using my school math book to improve my math skills that's it

Physic lover said:
I am from ALgeria .One of the books I could not download it for free and now I am using my school math book to improve my math skills that's it

Don't use your math book it's horrible

theoristo said:
Don't use your math book it's horrible
No actually it's activities really did helped me a lot don't underestimate it .

Physic lover said:
No actually it's activities really did helped me a lot don't underestimate it .
No it's just a plug and chug book It teaches you the operation not the meaning behind thing and it's very inefficient at doing so look for any english textbook the diffrence is obviously giangantic.

Plug and chug is fine for algebra, that's all you need to know. You'll be using it all later and learning more about it then.

For example, everyone knows how to divide but who can remember what the Chinese remainder theorem says?

theoristo said:
No it's just a plug and chug book It teaches you the operation not the meaning behind thing and it's very inefficient at doing so look for any english textbook the diffrence is obviously giangantic.

Infact there are pages in the book which teaches you the meaning behind this like you said but it's just that yhe teachers don't use them with us, I noticed that the book is fine but the teachers are not well using it with the students . Plus they really inhance it, ots not like the old books . Whatever my goal is not to convince you, where can I get this english textbook ?

FAQ: Good Algebra books for young physicit

1. What makes a good algebra book for young physicists?

A good algebra book for young physicists should have a clear and logical structure, with a focus on real-world applications and problem-solving. It should also have a balance between theoretical concepts and practical examples, as well as a user-friendly layout with diagrams, illustrations, and exercises.

2. Are there any specific algebra books that are recommended for young physicists?

While there are many good algebra books for young physicists, some popular choices include "Algebra for Physicists" by A. Zee, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay.

3. How can I determine the appropriate level of difficulty for an algebra book for young physicists?

The appropriate level of difficulty for an algebra book for young physicists will depend on the individual's background knowledge and understanding of algebra. It is important to find a book that challenges the reader without overwhelming them, and to choose a book that aligns with the reader's current level of understanding.

4. Can an algebra book for young physicists also cover other mathematical concepts?

Yes, many algebra books for young physicists also cover related mathematical concepts such as calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of how algebra is applied in different areas of physics.

5. Is it better to use a physical copy or a digital version of an algebra book for young physicists?

This is a matter of personal preference. Some readers may prefer a physical copy for easier note-taking and reference, while others may prefer a digital version for convenience and accessibility. Ultimately, the important factor is finding a book that is easy for you to use and understand.