Good book on linear algebra over rings (i.e. modules)

In summary: This book is not a good choice for someone wanting to read about modules from scratch, but it is a good reference for someone wanting to know more about a specific aspect of linear algebra, such as decomposition of modules over a prime.
eof
Can anyone recommend a book that covers linear algebra through the perspective of modules? I am basically trying to find something that would highlight all the differences between modules and vector spaces.

Lam has written the book Lectures on Rings and Modules, which is good, but doesn't really fit this purpose. It's more geared towards the module theory you need for homological algebra (i.e. injectives, projectives etc.).

Physics news on Phys.org
Many Abstract Algebra books talk about modules and apply it to vector spaces. E.g. Dummit and Foote.

A brief treatment is given in my free course notes for math 8000[6] on my web page:

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

these were actual notes for a graduate course in algebra lasting one semester and intended to prepare students fior the PhD prelim in algebra. (It succeeded for about half of them.)

Another treatment that does not mention modules, intended for advanced undergraduates is given in my notes on that same page, for math 4050.

A more detailed treatment using modules, is given in my notes on that same page for math 845. the ring theory is given in the math 844 notes. these (843-4-5) were also actual class notes for a graduate course back when the course lasted 3 quarters. thus they contain more detail and are perhaps more useful.

Actually I have four treatments of linear algebra on that page, at almost any length you wish:

from longest to shortest, the first two using modules:
math 845,
math 8000[6],
math 4050,
primer of linear algebra (15 pages!)In published form, a standard reference is Lang, Algebra, the section on decomposition of modules over a pid.

I would highly recommend the book "Linear Algebra: An Introduction to Modules" by I. Martin Isaacs. This book specifically covers linear algebra from the perspective of modules, highlighting the key differences between modules and vector spaces. It also includes many examples and exercises to help solidify understanding of the material. Additionally, it covers important topics such as dual spaces, tensor products, and canonical forms for modules, making it a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in this subject.

FAQ: Good book on linear algebra over rings (i.e. modules)

1. What is linear algebra over rings?

Linear algebra over rings, also known as module theory, is a branch of abstract algebra that studies vector spaces over more general algebraic structures called rings. It generalizes the concepts and techniques of linear algebra to settings where scalars are taken from a ring, rather than just a field.

2. Why is it important to study linear algebra over rings?

Linear algebra over rings has applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. It provides a powerful framework for solving systems of linear equations and studying linear transformations in more general settings. It also plays a crucial role in advanced areas of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.

3. What are some key concepts in linear algebra over rings?

Some key concepts in linear algebra over rings include modules, submodules, linear independence, basis, dimension, linear transformations, and module homomorphisms. Other important topics include direct sums, tensor products, and the structure of finitely generated modules over a principal ideal domain.

4. What are some recommended books on linear algebra over rings?

Some highly recommended books on linear algebra over rings include "Modules and Rings" by T. Y. Lam, "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi, "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "Introduction to Commutative Algebra" by Michael Atiyah and Ian Macdonald. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject and cover a wide range of topics in a clear and accessible manner.

5. What are some prerequisites for studying linear algebra over rings?

To study linear algebra over rings, one should have a solid understanding of linear algebra over fields, as well as basic knowledge of abstract algebra, including groups, rings, and fields. Some familiarity with modules and basic ring theory is also helpful. It is recommended to have completed a course in abstract algebra before delving into linear algebra over rings.